1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screens -

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MrSafety, Jan 27, 2003.

1. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This might seem a perfectly stupid question but I have been looking with interest at the number of people and the various ways in which they have built DIY screens. I am very impressed and keen to copy their lead, but one nagging question:

What's the point of me making a 16:9 screen if I have to sit through the various intros and feature-ettes which come on many DVDS which are in 4:3 format? Am I expected to adjust the projector between features? Or watch while the picture is projected across my lovingly created black borders? Or do I just not watch anything in 4:3 format? Or perhaps because I have a 4:3 projector (HS1) I have to make myself a 4:3 fixed screen and live with the letterbox bars on it?

I can see that buying a pull-down screen would be easier but I am starting to get the DIY bug and the image of having a large screen permanently sitting on my wall is rather appealing

2. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The aspect of your screen should match that of the projector, otherwise as you point out you will have to adjust the projector for each feature.

I don't know about the HS1, but my AE300 wouldn't I don't think have the range of zoom to project 4:3 onto a 4:3 screen and 16:9 onto a 4:3 screen without physically moving the projector.

So with a 4:3 projector you pretty much have to live with hefty top and bottom bars with 16:9 features when projecting onto 4:3.

-- Jon

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    I made a 16:9 screen because the vast majority of my viewing is DVD and 16:9 or 2.35:1 viewing.

I crop anything that might be 4:3 down to 16:9 in the same way the 'zoom' function of a widescreen would do ( you lose a bit from the top and bottom of the image). I use a HTPC so this is easy to do.

I don't have the room for a 4:3 scren at the width I want, so the choice was made for me. Even if I had roome for a 4:3 screen, I still would have gone for 16:9.

Don't forget that even with 16:9 you still have black bars top and bottom when viewing 2.35:1 films, so you'll have to adjust your masking for them unless you make the image fit the screen, and lose some of the image off of the sides.

HTH

Gary.

4. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    It would be a waste to not to be able to use the whole image available from your projector wouldn't it?

You could always build some DIY masking for the black bars top and bottom of the 4:3 screen.

I was thinking of using some black blinds (if they go wide enough) and putting one at the top and bottom of the screen with clips to hold them in the right position for masking.

Haven't tried it yet as I'm still deciding on which screen material to go for.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,953
    It's a waste if you use a 4:3 pj to project 16:9 or 2.35:1 without the use of an anamorphic lens, but how many people actualy use them?

If you watch a lot of 4:3, then obviously a 4:3 screen would be the best choice, but if you don't, then you're paying for something you wont be using.

It all boils down to personal choice and viewing material.

Gary.

6. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Hi Gary

Sorry!! My comment wasn't aimed at you. You got your reply in just a bit quicker than I did. ;)

I've had a think about it and my point (if I had one) is that the screen width is fixed by the positioning of the projector.

A 4:3 ratio fixed screen can easily be cropped down to a 16:9 screen a 16:9 screen can't be expanded to a 4:3 ratio.

I got a Z1 as I mostly watch widescreen material so I waste the sides of my PJ on 4:3.

Everythings a compromise :(