1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by petrolhead, Mar 25, 2004.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Some of you may be aware of the problems I have been having with the supply of a screen that is fit for the purpose.

Ie no ripples and the correct geometry 16:9

For those who have not see my problems please go here.

I find totally unaceptable that I can spend £875 on a product that is not fit for the job and then after 2 replacement still no further forward.

There have been many discussions on this forum about screen problems, Owl comes to mind.

Why do the manufacturers (Not all I know) seem to be incapable of getting this right. I have spoken to quite a few owners of screen who all say that the geometry is not perfect.

Why do we contine to accept inferior good. Our American brothers would never stand for this!

All I can say is that I find myself in a quandry. Where on earth do I buy a screen then will do what it says on the box?:mad:

2. fufna

fufna

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make one!

Then you only have yourself to blame if it's not up to your own standard:devil:

3. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would make a fixed screen if it was suitable for my appliaction but unfortuneatley it must be electric

4. Maxim

Maxim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am use to watch the forum but I feel to register now because my experience with elliè screens is just the opposite of yours and I would like you to know the fact. I believe I have exactly the same screen shown in your web site, but it is simply perfect, no ripples or bends at all, is like a plain wall. The picture quality compare with my previous old US screen is like day and night and I can only be satisfied. Also the peoples at elliè assisted me, reacting promptly to my questions, furthermore I suggest some friends abroad, in my own Country to purchase such a screens and they are totally satisfied as well. And as far as I know I am not talking of just one screen!
    Indeed It seems we are talking of different peoples.

IMHO: I know that these screens are delicate and MUST be moved horizontally only. Maybe that's the reasons of your troubles.

Maxim

5. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would agree that they must be handled properly but no amount of bad handling will alter the geometry of the screen (The white viewing area)

The facts and pictures speak for themselves.

6. Maxim

Maxim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do not agree with you, the temperature, from cold to a sudden warm environment alter the sizes for sure. When I hanged the screen first the difference from now was almost 1 inch and some hor. lines were visible. The day after (screen down all the time) it was OK. I am talking of sizes not geometry.

7. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yes thats may have a bearing but the screen were down for over a day and still the problem.

Like i say the pictured do not lie and all 3 screens were photographed after a couple of days being left down.

The measurements were also carfully checked. The white area on the screen should have measured 244 x 137 for the 8' 16:9 but was actually 244 x 138, too deep by 10mm

8. Maxim

Maxim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    that's really a funny story:confused: . I do not know how the factory can mistake the sizes??? Surely my screen quotes exactly 16:9, there is no gaps anywhere, and I did not measured at all. I will measure it this evening.

9. AndyGo

AndyGo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Petrolhead,

just to let you know, you are not alone !!!

I have a NexNix electric screen bought a few weeks ago with similar problems, I'm not too worried about the perfect geometry personally cos' with the black border surrounding it, I find the slight overlaps are not intrusive & do not bother me, however, the ripples are unnaceptably bad.
    I took my original screen back to NexNix where we spent an hour or so opening up all of the screens they had there !! All had the same problems of vertical ripples at each side of the screen that basically form an 'S' curve protruding approx. 8 inches into the picture with additional ripples in the bottom left hand corner (almost looks as though the material has been pinched in some way during manufacture) and some even had ripples in the middle of the screen (although I suspect these particular central ripples would have hung out in time).
    The demo screen at NexNix was, however, perfectly flat which leads me to suspect poor QC during production of this batch or subsequent handling.
    I took away one of the screens as a temporary measure with the intention of bringing it back to swap out for one from the next batch they receive (the ripples have now got even worse on this screen !) I will phone them this week to see if a new batch has arrived - although if these are no better then I will be in the same boat as you !! Watch this space.....

(Incidentally, the guys at NexNix were very good so I have no doubt they'll sort this in the end)

cheers,
    Andy

10. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The guys at my supplier are OK but why are thaey using the Italian manufacturer.

I have also had a PM from someone who is having problems with an Owl.

Its well known that they all come from the same manufacturer.

maybe its time that we, end users, wrote to this manufacturer and complained collectiveley!

Have a look at this thread

11. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
  12. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I had just about decided on purchaing a screenline jago electric projector screen when i found the above comments on a screenline screen. Anyone have any experience of the Screenline Jago, the specification reads well!

Thanks.