1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screens That Support 1080i/50...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Rasczak, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    ...are there any? I understand this is 'likely' to become the standard for High Definition so are any screens capable of supporting this now or in the immediate future? I appreciate that HD broadcasting is sometime (a long time?) away but there are potentially going to be other options (e.g. windows media video) available sooner.

2. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak,

Your correct as HD sources will become more available, indeed are available now. In the US the main Networks broadcast HD, In Europe Broadcast HD (should you wish) will be available from Astra Jan 2004. Theres also DTheater which is avaialble then finally HD titles slowly coming out on DVD (very slowly). The current forms of HD are 1080i and 720p, both of which are broadcast in the States, not just 1080i.

Though TBH if your looking at Plasma technology (available today) for displaying HD sources as intended (without downscaling/sizing) it will be a compromise one way or another, its a question of making those compromises which are right for you.

Looking at HD sources the closest matches of current displays are as follows:- with progressive panels you have; (1024 x 768p) or (1280 x 768p or slightly higher horizontal resolution). With Interlaced displays (ALiS) you have (1024 x 1024i). In answer to your question ALiS panels with a 1024 x 1024 interlaced panel will display a 1080i source closest to that intended by chopping a few lines from the top & bottom of frame (rather than downscaling), ie a 1080i source is displayed as a 1024i picture.

Have a look at http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/ , this runs through resolutions/display technologies/HD sources etc.

Hope this helps

Tony

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    tbrar - many thanks for that link. Looks like it contains all the info I've been looking for!

4. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +618
    I think that in the US larger plasmas (50") are starting to become available that can support the full 1920x1080 HDTV resolution. Hopefully this will eventually reach the UK and smaller screen sizes.
    /...........
    Everything over here at the moment though is going to have to do some pretty heavy scaling of that 1920 resolution.

6. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary,

Dutch (Steve) recently posted this information :-

Pretty LARGE !. You have to remember that such as resolution plasma will display a 1080p source! as intended, mind blowing stuff TBH :eek: .

Also I dont think 1080p is an official HDTV standard yet, its only 1080i and 720p, though it is imminent.

NB - ammended my last post to state plasma technology currently available.

Tony

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Tony,

It looks like LG have taken Samsung's crown in producing the largest plasma - now a whopping 71". :eek: Don't you just love those competitive Koreans!

1080p24 and 1080p30 are both ATSC HD broadcast standards as noted at www.atsc.org/standards/a_54.pdf dated Oct 95. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. tbrar

tbrar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

Thanks for that, so youve read that document ??? :eek:

My assumptions went by something a little simpler :confused: :-

http://www.avsforum.com/hdtvfaq/HDTV-FAQ.htm

In any case its a big plasma needed to display a whopping resolution ! !

Tony

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Shame the contrast falls off so much with the whoppers, it's not that impressive even with NEC61's. It's all very well to have resolution, but it's only 1/2 the story as you know. It could well be that another technology will have to be used for this kind of application, might be just in time for widespread accptance of HDTV in the UK, in other words, breath holding is inadvisable!