1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screens: grandview vs projecta proscreen (vs draper)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by josh1, Aug 29, 2003.

1. josh1

josh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opinions please!

Trying to figure out which manual screen is best for me (budget range 200-300).

From reading up threads here it seems like the Projecta range and Grandview (similar to da-lite) fare OK, but the Draper less well. I'm ooking at 80'x45' (139 cm x 240cm) 16:9 range of sizes.

Anyone have any prefs between this size of Grandscreen (found on direkt2u as advised here), and the Projecta proscreen (found on Metroplan also as advised)?? Ripples-wise, reliability-wise, good light return etc?

Thanks all. It's pretty confusing and I want to get it right... and I expect there's quite a few out there who are in a similar position.

josh
    (Panny 300)

(By the way. I was told Nexnix were good on projecta range. So I wrote to them and they said they're not really doing them anymore as they'd had reports of unreliability etc - so they're doing Draper instead. Which is weird because everyone on these threads seems to agree that Draper are the less well-made. Anyone care to comment?):confused:

(Second by the way. I understand that, with a bit of a hike in price, the Projecta Procinema are much more desirable than the Proscreen. Can anyone say why?)

2. Otto

Otto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Hi Josh,

With regard to the last part of your message I can tell you the following.

Proscreen and Procinema are almost identical. The only difference is the "black drop" on the top part of the screen. This is a large black border which allows the projection area of the screen (white) to be in the right viewing height, without having to mount the screen in the middle of the wall.

All the rest (screen fabric, housing, gain etc.) is identical. The only non-physical difference is, as you mentioned, the price.

Hope this clarifies the situation.

Best regards,

Otto

3. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Check out Nexnix own screens. I Have an electric one (not up yet!) and seem to be really good value.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,839
    josh I have owned both a Draper and a Proscreen.

Both suffer from ripples, in fact unless you go the tab-tensioned route you'll not find a manual pull down screen that doesn't ripple. The ripples on my Draper were more pronounced however.

The only other difference I could notice was that the Draper is made of a thicker material (100% blackout), the proscreen slightly thinner. My screen is mounted directly over my living room window, and the proscreen does let some light through when there is bright sunshine outside.

If you're looking for a 139x240cm screen (8' wide), then check out the classifieds, I'm selling my proscreen.

cheers
    Matt

5. jaybeegee

jaybeegee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what size is your nexnix screen.I am after the 7Ft one but need to know the exact lenght of the case as it has to fit window recess of 92". Phoned nexnix but they couldnt tell me - would have to open box and measure etc they said allow 6" on each side of screen width which seems excessive to me. Hope you can help.
    Grandview seems good value, also try dhrscreens.co.uk real good value - dont know about quality

jay

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    6 inches? I cannot tell because I wont be fitting mine for about 3-4 weeks but I woyuld have thouhgt about 2-3 inches max.

7. josh1

josh1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all. This is quite helpful. I'd still like to hear from anyone with experience of the Grandview screens. And the nexnix electrics - they seem good value but can't understand why they only provide them in 1.3 gain... Jack?

josh

8. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No idea mate. Ive heard good things though.:)