1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screens Above Coal Fires?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Billyfergus, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anybody with experience of placing their screens above a working coal fire?

My normal size TV is placed in the corner of the room but feel my new plasma would be wasted in the same corner. The only wall position suitable for placing the plasma on is directly above my coal fire.

Stuck a thermometer on the mantle piece last night and the max temp reading was 75 Deg (old system). Would this be too hot for it?

What would the optimum height for placing a screen when the sitting positions are approx 6-8 ft away?

Thanks for the help.

2. absthechatter

absthechatter
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Had a similar problem with mine, only it was a radiator underneath. I installed a radiator cabinet, and on the inside I had a layer of insulation (laminate floor underlay) and a layer of heat reflective stuff!! (the tin foil like material that goes behind radiators to reflect heat into room) facing downwards.

The wall temperature where the plasma is now, is the same temperature as the wall on the oposite side of my room.

I think (and I could be wrong) that this is now no more dangerous than having plasma on oposite wall.

This DIY heat reflector was only a few milimeters thick and could probably be used in the same way under a mantle piece or shelf above fireplace.

I think my biggest concerns would be the soot and stuff created by coal fire getting into mechanism and also the extra heat that would be generated within the chimney, therefore warming the wall behind.