1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screenplay or Sim

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by davee, Mar 1, 2005.

1. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Right, now the Screenplay 5700 and the Sim Domino 18 can be had for identical prices which is the one to go for? If I place this on the Sim site I know the answer I'd get so this may be less biased.
    The PJ will mainly be used for movies via an Arcam DV89. I dont have hdmi so no advantage there, noise can be an irritation although I intend to ceiling mount it, which will help. I doubt whether anybody has compared the two on an A/B dem but its worth asking.
    Anyway all opinions welcome.......

2. Movieman

Movieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi

I've bought a 5700 about 4 weeks ago, and it’s had to be replaced 3 times, due to an irritating vibration problem. I did see the sim at the Northern sound and vision show and it looked pretty good, I'm not sure weather this has helped but I thought you should know about the problem with the 5700.

Cheers
    Movieman

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    I would go for the Sim personaly.

Can you get a demo? Where are you? RTFM (Jeff) has an excellent demo room and is worth a visit (He's in Horsham, Surrey).

Gary.

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    There is a 5700 for sale in the classifieds here for just £950.00 :eek: Cheap as chips.

Cap.

5. AndyR

AndyR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a demo of 5700 vs a Domino 20 and to my eye there wasn't a huge difference in PQ. Having said that, I plumped for a Domino 30H. My impression is the Sim is better built (purely subjective) and they tend to have a longer throw (3.1 for the Sim 18) which was important for me. They claim the lamp lasts 6000 hours too. Both are fantastic tho!

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
  7. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Thanks for that guys, they are both good machines so making a decision is going to be tricky. Now if the Sim 18 came in glossy black as well there would be no contest.
    The 2nd hand 5700 in classifieds is tempting but having got stung on a previous s/h purchase on a Linn amp off ebay for +1K, ouch, i'm relucant to tread that path again.
    Right now the inclinometer is probably 60% sim 40% 5700. Needs 70 to break out the plastic