Quantcast

Screenplay 7205 or Themescene H79?

jonnormy

Standard Member
Hi all just wanted some advise please , ive never had a projector before and have decided to purchase one . Been reading up on them and reading the forums on here now for a while . I thought i had finally decided on the infocus sreenplay 7205 and even had a demo of one in leeds . But after seeing the spec and comparing the prices of both the 7205 and the new Optoma Themescene H79 im not so sure now . Im really tempted by the Themescene H79 , my budget is around the 3k mark any ideas ? or help would be great ..cheers

Boris Blank

Reviews of the H79 have been very good and there is far better support for it on this and AVS forums. There are a few folk here with an H7x and they would be more than willing to answer any questions you may have.

The H79 is also recommended by our resident projector guru (Gordon of ConvergentAV) and he REALLY knows his stuff!

Paul

ZippyCat

I would go for the H79 over the 7205 but that’s just a personal preference. Go and have a demo of both units at the same shop so you can compare like for like. Either way you won’t be disappointed.

n0s

Standard Member
H79 for sure

Timbo21

I have a 7205, and although it's an awesome projector the technology for DLP is racing ahead. And whereas it was the best, IMO, some months ago, for the price, I think the H79 will probably beat it with the new DC3 chip & higher contrast ratio.

However, some DLP's gave me bad eye strain & lots of rainbows. The 7205 gave me no such problems, and I recently watched it for 6 hours with no eye strain whatsoever. So, this is a consideration when choosing a DLP. The H79 has an 8 segment colour wheel, so hopefully would be fine, but make sure you do a LONG demo for the above reasons.

T.

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
wot timbo said...lol

7205 is a good PJ, easy on the eyes for me too, and i've been spending 10 hours on it, nevermind 5 or 6...lol

but if u think you prefer the other one, then get that.....go with what you want......if u not sure, toss a coin, either way you win :)

jonnormy

Standard Member
Ok thanks for your replys , will try and find somewhere to have a demo . Any idea's the shop i went to last time dont have a H79 in to demo , anywhere around the leeds wakefield , yorkshire area would be great ...

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
H79 definitely, and you will be happy to hear it is also very well behaved when it comes to rainbow effect etc.

(I would even have the H79 over the 7210 - and then shove a scaler up it's jacksie and really see the thing fly... Oh wait, that's exactly what I have done!)

NonPayingMember

If you can find stock!!! (which I imagine you won't be able to) Next lot is due in later this month if I remember, but that eta does keep creeping further away every time I check!!!

ukfatboy

Standard Member
Thought i'd chip in .

I've had a 7205 for 10 months . a 7210 for a month and a h78dc3 for a month and would go with h79 but with a warning.

The 7210 is no great improvement on 7205 and not worth more. The infocus are noisey and use a proprietry cable.

MY h78 is silent and the picture out of the box was superior. I then had gordon supply and install a scaler and the picture quality on tv was superior to dvd on the infocus.

The problem was that the h78 developed a fault within two weeks and had to go back. My dealer said he had seen the same fault on another as well. It took themscene amost 3 weeks to do the swop out which I think was poor.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that the replacement is not as it should be but i am currently trying to investigate this ( see my other thread )

I think I am right in saying that the infocus are rebranded toshibas so if you hunt you may get a bargain.

NonPayingMember

The Toshiba MT8 was a clone of the 7200 - infocus always had the best firmware though. [note for MT8 users - download 7200 f/w from Screenplay site, much better than Tosh f/w]

What was the H78 fault out of interest? I've got quite a few out in the field with a zero failure rate. Had one faulty H30a and three H57s in a row (to the same poor customer, a mate of mine too!!). But not H78/H79, well not yet anyway!!

ukfatboy

Standard Member
The h78 developed a fault that is best described as follows . Turn on then after 10-40 minutes the picture would go screwwy, flicker, colours would change etc , same on all sources , only reboot would cure it and then same thing again and so on.

As per my other thread , do you know how to idenify which model is which , any help would be appreciated ?

NonPayingMember

WOW that doesn't sound pleasant!! Almost similar to what the H57(s) suffered though, video processing failure that could/would cause colours to invert to their negatives almost, picture jumping all over the shop, but then after a reboot all is fine.

Sorry I don't know how to identify the different models easily. Perhaps contact ThemeScene and check the serial number???

ukfatboy

Standard Member
Liam , your description is far more accurate than mine, thats exactly what happen to the H78,
I'm trying to get my facts right before i talk to manufacturer , if you knwo what i mean

regards

jonnormy

Standard Member
Thanks 4 the info guys , going to demo the H79 tomorrow . Not so sure about what deal to go for though . Ive found 2 what seem to be good deals 1st one £2,995 with a free screen and a FREE 10m DVI (or HDMI cable , the Second one is same price but with a option of taking the very latest Marantz DV7600 upscaling DVD with HDMI for FOR £200 (RRP £699 .. Since i have no screen or decent dvd player either one would be good . Not sure though if i really need such an expensive dvd player , any thoughts ? Thanks .. (would be great if i actually knew something about home cinemas)

jonnormy

Standard Member
Oh and also would i need to buy a amp aswell ? Or could i plug some speakers into the Marantz DV7600 if i went 4 that deal ..Thanks

NonPayingMember

fatboy - it's a straight processing chip replacement which isn't difficult for them to do. Must've been a sour batch.

JOnnormy - you'll need an amp too! I would go for a DVD player over free screen, the free/discounted screens are always pants. Better to get discount on a very good DVD player and then buy a better screen.

jonnormy

Standard Member
Ok looks like my budget is set to go up :rolleyes: Any idea's about what amp and what speakers , or can i just buy them as a package ? Dont wanna spend too much as i cant have it too loud anyways ...thanks

Trending threads

Top Bottom