1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screenplay 5700 Via HDMI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by StAnToN, Nov 29, 2004.

1. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi M8ys

im planning on getting a Screenplay 5700 and connecting upto a Denon 2910 via the M1 Connector for HDMI.

has anyone here got a Screenplay 5700 via a high definition player and can you recommend it does it look good?

i tried to demo it at my local sevenoaks but they didnt have the M1 lead so couldnt via it via High defionition only via component.

i think its either the Screenplay or the Optoma H57 but on one seems to have them in stock yet.

thanks

StAnToN
    :devil:

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The only review I've read states that through DVI/HDMI, the detail is much higher at the expense of a slight loss of contrast. So if you can afford the outlay for an adapter/cable, you should give it a go. Sharper, more detailed images have to be worth a look, the contrast is so good anyway, that a "slight loss", shouldn't be a problem.

3. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    my optoma H30 is currently in a completly blackedout room so if thats the case it will be no dirrectn.

would love to hear from anybody whos got this set up would like to know what they think.

thanks

StAnToN

4. Les E

Les E

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've seen the exact same set-up demo-ed in sevenoaks, manchester and yes, it's bloody brilliant!

Saw Spider-Man thru the hdmi lead (with an M1 adaptor) and it blew me away...especially the scene when spidey first confronts Goblin at the parade.

It's the exact set-up I am going for next year!

5. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    forgive the ignorance, but what is a "M1 Connector" ?

6. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi Les E

did they show it upscaled to 1080i or was it just direct feed from the player without upconverting would love to know?

Maximum Bob the M1 connector is basically a DVI-M connector i beleive its for the infocus projector specially for there connection on the back of the projector so that it accepts HDMI via DVI.

thanks

StAnToN

7. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [/QUOTE=StAnToN]Maximum Bob the M1 connector is basically a DVI-M connector i beleive its for the infocus projector specially for there connection on the back of the projector so that it accepts HDMI via DVI.

8. StAnToN

StAnToN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i beleive its something extra you have to buy if you have a llook on the infocus website they list it as accsessories.

thanks

StAnToN

9. markwww673

markwww673

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I'm running a Pioneer 668 with a HDMI to DVI cable into my Screenplay 5700 via a M1-DA Adaptor into the PJ.

I'm very impressed a fair bit of difference from a component feed and only a small thin cable.

You can get the m1-da adaptors from here much cheaper than the one from Infocus

http://www.lindy.com/uk/productfolder/04/41226/index.php

it comes with USB so can update the pj's firmware if available.

mark..

10. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    markwww673 ,

The Lindy M1 adapter description states DVI-I, so thats connectable to a DVI-D is it ?

11. markwww673

markwww673

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have unplugged me bits and can say that from the Pioneer 668 I have

HDMI to a DVD-D Male

this then goes into the Lyndy adaptor Female DVD-I and then the M1-DA Male actually goes into the pj.

I think the DVD-I is a dual link so it will accept anolog & digital at higher resolutions.

Mark..

12. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, it stands for DVI-Integrated. This is a DVI socket that accepts both DVI-D (digital video) and the rarely used DVI-A (analog RGB video).

Lindy have a page which explains the different types of DVI connector, if you want more detail.

13. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for taking the time to check it out for us.

I can't hep thinking they had the right idea with DVI, but they should've just stuck to one do-it-all standard. HDMI is a better attempt (O ok, did somebody mention v1.0 & then v1.1 with audio ...Doh)

14. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forget the 5700 why not go for the 7200 which you can pick up brand new from hifix for only 2499.99. You would be mad to go for a 5700 instead of a 7200.

15. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Or a Toshiba MT8 (which is an Infocus 7200) It was always cheaper even at launch.
    (yes i do own one, and its superb)

16. davee

davee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    The MT8 doesnt go for less than about £3.5K, dont see how it can compete with the 7200 at £750 less

17. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +241
    This is cheap [saving £2500] but isn't it nearly 3yrs old :confused: things move on quickly and an older £5000 pj with reported geometry ,light spill, early lamp warnings could be the reason why its dropped so much :lesson:
    Doesn't the 5700 use a better chip especially for dvd [matching resolution] , and didn't infocus address above problems with the newer 5700 model. I Know the 7200 has better resolution but whats the point if its spoilt with bad design. :rolleyes:

18. Paulholio

Paulholio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well maybe its because the 7205 is out and they are just trying to get rid of old stock....they did it with the 4805 remember :)

19. HouseofMu

HouseofMu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Those problems are exagerated. Its a 720 line DLP with DCDi scaling which does an impressive job upscaling DVD, which you can now connect to the newer DVI/HDMI players to help improve matters.

The 7205 used the newer HD2+ (slight contrast improvments and dimple fix), nothing too dramtic. I run mine in econo bulb mode in a light controlled room against Firehawk and its plenty bright enough, so I should be able to get close to 2500/3000 hours out of the bulb.

Things do move on, but my opinion is that you need to skip a generation (maybe 2/3 in faster moving areas such as plasma) to see a real improvment. I don't know what InFocus plans are; but I'm waiting to see what they bring out once HD (possible 1080 panel) hits europe as a broadcast option. I can recommend it as a good buy on value for money and can confidently say it still competes with todays projectors of the same new rrp.

But, I know, its always difficult to buy into something thats a few years old.

20. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought the 7200 from HiFix £2500, stunning! No contest between 7200 and 5700 uless you wanna save £300. Not many left. The 7200 was selling for over £4000 several months back and, apparently, Infocus found a load of stock they didn't know about in a warehouse when the 7205 was hitting the market.
    See my post if you want more on first impression.