1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screenplay 4805 vs. Panasonic PT-AE700

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chazpell, Nov 27, 2004.

1. Chazpell

Chazpell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Everyone

For about a year now I have been tyring to find a projector that would suite my Home Cinema needs, and at the same time isn't to pricey. So far the best two within my price range seem to be the Screenplay 4805, and the Panasonic PT-AE700. I have seen a demo of the Screenplay 4805 in Sevenoaks Peterborough. The picture was almost flawless; the contrast was outstanding, the colours were great, the only problem was that I could see some slight pixelation. Although I haven't seen the Panasonic PT-AE700 in action, I have heard that it beats the Screenplay for image. I would be very greatful if someone has seen these two projectors in action, and could give there honest opinion as to which one is best.

Thanks Alot...

2. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    I have auditioned both the Screenplay 4805 and the AE700 and bought the 4805.
    I found the pros of the 4805 outshone the pros of the AE700 and also the cons were less on the 4805.
    To put this in a little more detail, I would say that the 4805 had better blacks, smoother, more filmlike video processing and a more nautral set of colours. The Panasonic AE700 had a much sharper picture with no visable pixelation but lacked the Faroudja video processing capabilities of the 4805. Plus there seems to be an issue of Verticle Banding with the AE700
    Viewed from a distance of twice the screen width, the 4805 showed little to no visable pixelation and rainbows in my case were not a problem.
    The AE700 is probably better if you are looking to go down the Hi-Def route in the not too distant future as it has a higher native resolution, but if DVD is your main choice of viewing, then the 4805 is ideal.
    Infocus Screenplay 4805
    For:
    Price
    contrast/black level
    video processing
    colours
    Overal Picture
    Against:
    Pixelation/resolution
    Possible rainbow issue
    fan noise

Panasonic AE700
    For:
    Resolution
    No visible pixelation from any distance
    Price
    Overal picture
    Fan Noise
    Against
    Verticle Banding issue
    Lower black level than the 4805
    image not as smooth as 4805

3. drbob

drbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Surely you mean 4805 has a lower black level?

Also you forget to mention lens shift. This is a very useful feature which gives more flexibility in positioning the projector. The AE-700 has it but the 4805 doesn't (it has a fixed 27.5 image drop/raise from the center line (i.e the image will start 27.5% of the total image height above or below the position of the projector) check the infocus website for an excal sheet that allows you to work out the required position of the projector for your desired screen size. Depending on your setting this may be vital or a non-issue.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    well, assuming deep black would be a high black level, then the AE700 does indeed have a lower black level than the 4805. Or to be totally clear, the 4805 can produce deeper, 'blacker' blacks than the AE700. All clear? Good !!!