1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ScreenPlay 4805 anyone ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DVDNUT, Jul 7, 2004.

1. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have been advised by a dealer NOT to buy my PJ until viewing a ScreenPlay 4805 DLP PJ. The spec. certainly looks good, but has anyone here actually had a demo of one?

2. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only read a few comments from one or two users, but they seem to indicate it's a bit of a bargain. My only concern is that it's a WVGA - that's fine for current material, but I'd like to know how it would fair with a 720p source against say a LCD WXGA machine like the Z2 or the new Hitachi.

I'd jump at one tomorrow based upon initial reaction if it wasn't for the fact that I want to step into the world of HD within the next 12 months. (I don't really want to buy a new machine now and know that upgradeitus would strike in 12 months time) If I could be convinced this machine outperforms WXGA LCD's on HD material, I'd be happy to settle for one for the next couple of years.

3. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
  4. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    If its any help, I had a demo of the 4805 today with a friend who wanted to compare my Z2, to a budget DLP before making a decision.

I have to be honest and say that I had a headache after 20 minutes, the flashes of rainbow were to much for me. My friend also found the rainbows irritating and distracting and has ordered a Z2 this afternoon. There is no doubt the colours and contrast are better than the Z2, but the rainbows are a killer.

5. Paul Williams

Paul Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Be a great upgrade for me as I have no problem with rainbows on the X1, but then again I'm more than happy with the performance of the X1, so I guess I'll just save my money or get a better DVD player. From a personal veiw point, I find most LCD units I've seen unwatchable - even as data projectors. :thumbsdow

Paul

6. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Am seeing oe probably onn Saturday. If the shop can get one in will be viewing it against the H30. Also seeing the Panasoic 500.

7. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Asimm,
    I'll be very interested to see what you think of a direct comparison between the 4805 / H30 / Ae500 as these are all projectors I've been considering.

Just a reply on UrbanT's comment on Rainbow - I saw a demo of the 4805 last week and I didn't see any rainbow at all (maybe I'm just an insensitive *******!) I' think this is very much a personal thing, from what I've picked up in various forums on DLP. I think you really need to see for yourself to se if you are susceptible or not.
    After the 4805 demo, they switched to the 5700 as a comparison. To be honest, I couldn't see that much of an improvement (not worth >2x the price IMO). The picture was a little more detailed, but not dramatically so.

Ed.

8. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a matter of interest, what's the current average price for the 4805? I've only seen it advertised at one Uk outlet and they're quoting 1300 pounds, compared to the US RRP of 1499$ this seems a tad expensive.

Regarding rainbows, it seems to be down to the individual, but I presume the PJ is also a factor - i.e. fewer segments, greater potential to see rainbows?

9. sapkan

sapkan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    which is better between the panny ae500 and the sony hs-20?

10. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    ED_J

Will do. 10.00 tomorrow for the 4805 v panasonic 500 - av sales Tunbridge Wells. 12.00 tomorrow for the 4805 v H30 Sevenaoks in Sevenoaks.
    If i want to walk away with any Pjs then sevenoaks will sell me the demo H30 and av sales will sell me what is a brand new 4805.
    Any recommendations for demo sequences?

11. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would suggest you take your own DVD's so that the source is identical (albeit from different players and interconnects) that way you'll be able to at least compare the same scenes.

Take something like Lord of the Rings to show dark detail, contrast and black level and perhaps Finding Nemo or some such DVD that will really bring out the colours.

Spend as much time as they will let you on each proj and decide which one fits your particular requirements, listening to others is good but at the end of the day get what's right for you.

Regards, MikeD

12. Jason_b32

Jason_b32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Will do. 10.00 tomorrow for the 4805 v panasonic 500 - av sales Tunbridge Wells. 12.00 tomorrow for the 4805 v H30 Sevenaoks in Sevenoaks.
    If i want to walk away with any Pjs then sevenoaks will sell me the demo H30 and av sales will sell me what is a brand new 4805.
    Any recommendations for demo sequences?

Hi Asimm

How did you get on with the demos? Has it helped you decide which one to go for? or still confused? :confused:

Cheers

Jason

13. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Bump, oooh I so much want to hear more about people's experience of the 4805, I cannot demo for two whole weeks !

Please.....

14. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone know how much this will cost in the UK???? Surely under a grand? Also, the specs say it will take 576p. How can it do this with a resolution of 854x480?

15. Jason_b32

Jason_b32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gorshin

AFAIK the price is £1295.00 I've seen or heard about it being any cheaper at this stage. I'm hoping to demo it myself at somepoint this week.

regards

Jason

16. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Sorry guys for the delay in replying - busy weekend.
    Right - here goes:

Panasonic 500 - ruled out almost straight away when compared to the 4805. Too grainy/could see the lcd structure, not as smooth as the 4805. Putting it simply it really did not work for me (or the wife). Kent Home Cinema had a way of sending a signal to both PJs so you could compare in real time. When you audition like this a direct comparison is easy. The 500 was out within 2-3 minutes.

I have seen quite a few PJs but for the price I have not seen better than the 4805. I would even go as far as saying that I have not seen better this side of 2500. Yes the picture is smooth but I kinda like that. The colours are slightly faded but from the menu this can be fixed. Blacks are good and can be made better with the menu without too much impact on other coulours.
    The picture is great with whites. I could see no rainbow but then I never do so go with Andrew from Kent Home Cinema - he said that the PJ is very good at almost eliminating rainbow completely.
    The picture was very atmospheric, a lot like going to the ciema (something the 500 simply did not have).
    Also saw the 4805 up against a Sharp x200 (model number wrong I think). This costs an extra 500 but for me not in the same league. Would still go for the 4805 even if I had the money for the Sharp.

They did not have an H30 so it was off to Sevenoaks:

Same discs viewed - I was hoping for a significant difference to make the choice easy however this was not the case. BUT there is a difference. The 4805 gives a more polished performance. The H30 is 4:3 and this shows no matter what settings you use. The picture is an 8/10 whereas the 4805 is 9/10 going on for 10. Lines around objects are more noticeable on the H30 and I didn't think it handled colours as well as the 4805.

In summary - I simply cannot believe the price of the 4805 or the H30. We are spoilt. There is really no excuse for me now not to take the plunge. A year ago I would have expected to have paid at least £3000 for the pictures these 2 PJs are displaying. The one for me is the 4805. It is easily worth the extra £100.
    As soon as I hear from work (hopefully tomorrow) then I,m going for it.
    Incidentally Kent Home Cinema http://www.av-sales.co.uk offered the best rooms to demo in that I have ever seen. It was a real pleasure.

17. Jason_b32

Jason_b32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Asimn - I'm sold (after a veiwing of course) :D

18. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'd be interested to see how this compares with the Hitachi 100.

19. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the comments I've read, the 4805 sounds like it comes out on top. Subject to a rainbow review, I'm very tempted to say the least!!

20. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really am gutted, I can see rainbows pretty bad.

I demoed an Infocus 5700 last week and the picture was very nice but the rainbows flash up quite regularly and are distracting. God knows what I'd see with 4805 since its colour wheel is amongst the slowest available.

This is what is stopping me from going to DLP, at least until 3 chippers are common and the colour wheels are gone.

If you don't see rainbows then the 5700 is a bargain and the 4805 probably is too.

21. Jason_b32

Jason_b32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to see rainbows badly on my mates X1, but the more movies I watched, and stopped looking for them, I soon wasn't bothered by them.

I'm hoping that as the 4805 has a 6 segment x4 speed wheel compared to the 4 segment x2 speed wheel on the X1, i'm hoping that this projector is for me.

Roll on the demo .(just to be sure)

22. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Asimm, good info.

23. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Asimm, good info.
    Glad to hear the info on the H30. I went to Sevenoaks on the 10th (B'ham) and they had sent their H30 elsewhere for a demo so I couldn't see what it was like. However, I did see a Sony HS20 in Superfi, which looked pretty impressive (although I'm beginning to forget what the 4805 was like!). I think I preferred the resolution of the Sony (made things a bit sharper) and blacks seemed ok. But, it's difficult to tell without a back-to-back.

Has anyone done a comparison between the 4805 and the HS20? (I know it is a bit more expensive, but I'm now in the game of "well, it's only a little bit extra"!)

Any views appreciated.

Ed

P.S. Anyone know where to get a screen/throw ratio calculation for the HS20? The 4805 would be just about right for my room plan (7ft wide screen about 14ft from PJ, which would be directly overhead).

24. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
  25. Claymaker

Claymaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 4805 at the weekend.

Out of all the projectors I've looked at - it simply looked better than any up to £3K.
    The Sevenoaks guy admitted its given them a bit of a moral dilema. If they know that someones budget is £3K - depending on the salesman - you might not get shown the 4805. I can't understand why Infocus have set the price so low. Even my Girlfriend could tell the difference in picture quality - I would have bought it even if had cost £2K+.

So as you can tell - I'm chuffed.

Any problems? Only 1 really - the offset angle is quite high - even in the position its going to be - near the ceiling - I still have to slightly tilt it upwards and using a slight bit of keystone. Not a big issue - the picture is still stunning.

Good thing is - I've got more cash to spend on screens etc now - so its an electric one instead of manual for me.

26. asimm

asimm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ed_J/all

One thing I have noticed from this forum and from demoing in various shops is how difficult it is to get 1/2 of the pjs you want to demo in one shop. I had to go to two shops to see the panasonic/infocus and themescene. You are right, without them in one shop and without a set up where you can have more than one pj at a time projecting the same image (just cover one lens over at a time)it is difficult to get a good comparison (and one that you can remember). Its a bit tricky especially with the sums involved. Not sure where you are in the country but av sales (see my first post) where excellent (even offering me and the wife drinks for the demo) and they were willing to get in pjs to demo even from people they did not have an account with.
    They might be able to get all the pjs in that you want to view.
    Continue to be blown away by the infocus. Put sky through it a few days ago - looks excellent. Roll on the footie season!

27. Ed_J

Ed_J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Timh,
    Thanks, found that just after I had made my post!

Asimm,
    I'm in Midlands, so Tunbrige wells is a bit far. Stratford hi-fi seem pretty accomodating, so I might see where I can get to with them.

Ed.

28. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm very interested to know how images look in such a low resolution. 480 lines does not seem many considering the size of the average screen.

I am a complete noob with projectors, but if it is fed with 'HD' source or Pal images, is it possible to increase the number of pixels? I see on projector central that pjs have a native and maximum number of pixels. What does this mean?

29. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I saw one of these in action today and was very impressed with the image especially for such a low resolution and price. No rainbow effect, no strained eye etc unlike when i demod the H56.
    I am seriously thinking about going back to the shop with some usual suspects for screen door with my Z2 and try them out on this.
    From about 1.5 width distance from the screen i could see no screen door, when i got closer there was obviously signs but that will be down to the resolution. Also for contrast this even beats the new H57 which is over twice the price, this has to be a very hot buy at the moment.

30. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    480 lines is native resolution for NTSC dvds........... hence the "480p" (480 lines Progressive scan) that you'll see mentioned here and there.......

No it's not possible to "increase the number of pixels"........... if a projector has a native resolution of, say 854x480 pixels, it can be capable of displaying, say, 1280x720 images by scaling the incoming signal at the higher resolution down to fit the native resolution of the projector. The success or otherwise of how well it does this is down to the abaility of the scaler in the projector - these are sometimes (often ?) fairly unsophisticated, hence the use of standalone scaler (and de-interlacers) such as iScan or Lumagen, to mention just two. HCPCs are also used for their ability to scale and de-interlace, as well as their ability to output a signal which perfectly matches the resolution of the panel in the projector. Some projectors have very capable scaling capabilty though - Infocus and Nec spring to mind.

Sean G.