1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screenplay 4800 Or ThemeScene H30?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by mikeburns, May 28, 2004.

1. mikeburns

mikeburns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I've just been given £1300 by the insurance company to replace my old Sony project. Looking at What Hi*Fi I'm thinking about one of two units Screenplay 4800 Or ThemeScene H30. I only watch films which are play via an Arcam DV88+ (progressive scan).

Has anyone got any opinions about which one I should go for?

Thanks ever so ….

Mike

2. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Mike, can't comment on the Screenplay but I own an H30 and it really is very, very good for the price.

Like you I only watch films on DVD and SKY, Optoma claim the H30 has been optimised for just that.

Try to get a demo of both then make your decision, after all it's still an awfull lot of money to spend (well it is for me anyway!).

Regards, MikeD

3. Boye

Boye

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Since the H30 has a 4 x speed colour vs. the 2 x speed colour wheel of the 4800, the H30 should have less rainbow effect. I had the IF4800 and 5700 (5 x speed colour wheel) demoed a few days ago, and I found the rainbows too distracting on the 4800 but negligible on the 5700. You might consider the soon to be released IF4805 with a native resolution of 854 x 480 (16:9) and a 4 x speed colour wheel.

But do get a demo - I've read several thousands of posts here and on the AVSforum, but the demo really puts all the talk into perspective.

Regards, Boye - Still waiting to get an LCD demo, so I might choose between H30, IF 4805 and Hitachi PJ-TX100

4. tykent

tykent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Couldn't agree more..... Get a demo.
    I saw the IF 4800 and could not handle the rainbows. The IF5700 was much better. In the end I bought a 2nd hand Sony VW12HT.

Sevenoaks HiFi stock both the IF4800 and H30 in some stores.

5. ptr

ptr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have to spend the £1300 , then get the h30 because its more expensive so it must be better :)

If you can keep the change get the infocus x1 (After months of reading these forums, I've kinda sussed its basically the same as 4800) as ebuyer have it for £580 delivered.

I've just got the x1, its my first projector, and I could see the rainbows because this forum made me look for them. 9 hours of films later, I dont notice them at all.

For under 600 quid its a bargain , considering I paid 570 for a 33" ferguson many moons ago

6. NoDad

NoDad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    The only thing going for the 4800 is that the same machine (Infocus X1) is now available for £575 inc VAT (ebuyer) but I personaly would not buy one for £57 because of the rainbows. It doesn't matter how cheap a PJ is, if it has flaws which make it unwatchable.

7. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Frankly for the price, the X1 has to be considered and I speak as an ecstatic H30 owner.

The X1 does have the Faroudja DCDI deinterlacing chipset which is a big plus and the lamp life is pretty good if memory serves.
    If you don't have problems with rainbows and most people don't it has to at least bear consideration and a demo especially at that price.
    I'm not aware of any flaws with the projector, if there were infocus wouldn't have sold so many of them, certainly Projectorcentral gave it a good write up.

If however mikeburns you have to spend all the money then I agree wholeheartedly with ptr, go blow the lot on an H30 assuming you like the demo and I'd be surprised if you didn't.

I originally considered the X1 but in the end decided to spend a little more and plumped for the H30, I didn't demo the X1 but am pretty certain in my own mind that it couldn't possibly perform as good as the H30.

Regards, MikeD

8. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    H30 works very well with DVDs, colour is perfect and there's lots of options for changing things to your liking. Very suprised by the quality of it, very cinematic. It doesn't look 'electronic' at all. Can't recommend it highly enough, and rainbow flashes can be seen very rarely but not enough to put me off purchasing - and I'm convinced that rainbows appear when I'm tired. Like everyone says, demo the two of them then decide.

Just wish I had a bigger room to project in so I could have a massive screen :eek:

9. MikeD

MikeD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi booth 1976 don't be greedy, six out of seven aint bad :clap: :clap: :clap:

MikeD

10. largenogin

largenogin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a 4800 for the last couple of months now. Still makes me smile every time I use it and at the moment its only projected onto a not ideally coloured wall. You can see rainbows on darker films but as a previous poster said, you dont see them after a while. Not seen the h30 going but I'm sure it looks great too, but of course it is currently £300 or so more.

11. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd suggest taking a look at the Optoma H30 and the InFocus 4805 (the 4805 has just been reviewed in the Sept. issue of What HiFi and they gave it 5 stars - not that i trust What HiFi at all - they never, ever mention the possibilities of seeing rainbows with a DLP (especially with the InFocus 4800/X1), which is a bit remiss if they're doing a balanced review.

However, I do trust the opinions of some of the informed people on this forum and on avsforums (www.avsforums.com), and it would appear that in your price range, the 3 'hot' projectors are:

Optoma H30
    InFocus 4805
    Hitachi TX100

Try and get a demo and buy the one you think is the best.

12. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I saw the H30 a few weeks ago at SevenOaks in Swansea, and saw the 4805 today in their Cardiff store..Swansea temp closed as of today.. :(

Very little to choose between the 2 units, only the inclusion of DVI is swaying me towards the 4805.

1 thing I did notice is that on the rare occasion I saw RBE on the H30, this was not evident on the 4805..used the exact same test discs for demo purposes, could this be down to the fact that the 4805 was demo'd using a smaller screen diag compared to the 8ft of the H30 ?

13. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Has anyone compared the 4805 to the new Hitachi pj-tx100???? It would be interesting to see a comparison. However, the Hitachi is currently £250 cheaper. Also, both pjs have trade-offs. The Contast on the 4805 is 2200:1 (pretty bloody good!!!!) against the Hitachi's of 1200:1. However, the Hitachi has a much higher resolution and a lens shift.

14. booth1976

booth1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would say yes, because your eyes are scanning across the image more frequently. I was until recently projecting a 5 foot image and sitting about 5 foot away and the rainbow effect would appear sometimes, though not a lot. Recently I've been projecting a 6 foot image and sitting about 12 feet away and only noticed the RBE once in about a week.

Basically if your eyes are scanning across the image a lot you will see rainbows.

15. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    So If I pumped the 4805 screen diag up to 96", then chances are I will see the rainbows about as frequently (Not much) as I did on the H30 ?, as opposed to not at all ?

Im actually fitting the screen this week, Ive gone for a DRH 92" diag as it happens, hoping to get a home demo of the 4805 for the weekend if all goes well.

16. SuperSportBilly

SuperSportBilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I`m interested in the 4805 / H30 or possibly Toshiba MT500 / Benq 7800.

I have a Sanyo Z1 and have a 7ft screen etc.

How do you get a home demo ?

It`s hard enough to get to see them at a store.

Only seen the H30 - quite impressed.

Thanks

17. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    I personally would say less because the 4805 has a faster colour wheel than the H30 so this will help no end.

18. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I thought that the colourwheel speed was the same.. :confused: as the H30 has a 6 segment RGBRGB 4xColourWheel. Pretty sure thats the same as the 4805.. please correct me if I've got this wrong..

19. scoobysti

scoobysti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    ive got a screenplay 4800 which i use with a arcam dv89 and i see hardly any rainbow effect, i have seen a optoma h56 running and was aware of the rainbows most of the time,
    the h56 was closer to the screen than my screenplay is, maybe that is a factor, wierd tho :)