screenies of comparrison?

yannic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, Well i've finally decided to go with HD-DVD due to the way the evidence is pointing. I was originally obsessed with 1080p signals but if what people say is true, I guess its not the most important thing.

Does anyone have an HDTV set up to display some HD-DVD content via perhaps their 360 drive? or perhaps even a Tosh HD-E1 / A1 / A2?

I am dying to see some real-world comparrisons of PQ compared to a DVD.

I also need a litte advice on wether its worth spending the extra to go for a 50'' plasma to run at 1366x768 as opposed to 1024x768 as is common on most the 42'' plasma's.

Sky HD may follow in time but I am most interested in getting media in HD-DVD.... is it really THAT good??

Thanks

Here you have the comparison between upscaled DVD and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

Now you can see why HD-DVD is superior.

upscaled DVD

bourne_bluray.jpg

TOSHIBA HD-DVD

bourne_hddvd.jpg

thanks for that.very interesting to see that hd-dvd is better.is this a general feeling within the industry ?
any idea how hd-dvd movies compare to sky hd movies ? i know some movies are better than others on sky but none have actually blown me away.
in fact,best hd ive seen from sky is on history channel hd !

HD-DVD looks much nicer than anything I have seen personally on Sky HD, however, Strictly Come Dancing on BBC HD looked very nice a couple of weeks ago :smashin:

Thats weird since Bourne Supremacy is only out on HD-DVD?

Yeah i know but these pics show the SD-DVD upconversion quality of the players to show how bad Samsung is with DVDs.

I will show the "true" 1080i also later.:hiya:

Yeah i know but these pics show the SD-DVD upconversion quality of the players to show how bad Samsung is with DVDs.

Ah Ok. You should have mentioned that this is a SD DVD comparison, cause people probably think its Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD comparison :)

Here you have the comparison between Samsung BD-P1000 and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

SAMSUNG BLURAY

bourne_bluray.jpg

TOSHIBA HD-DVD

bourne_hddvd.jpg

wow
thats a huge difference!

bluray looks like SD to me in that screenshot

Mod Comment: It is!

more comparison pics would be great

thanks

Here you have the comparison between Samsung BD-P1000 and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

SAMSUNG BLURAY

bourne_bluray.jpg

TOSHIBA HD-DVD

bourne_hddvd.jpg

so thats NOT a comparison then, its a HDVD and an upscaled DVD, not HDDVD/Bluray

wow showing difference in files that are 425 x 221 resolution !! now I always thought that was a little too small but hey ;)

One is 66520 bytes in size
One is 89507 bytes in size

Does that make a difference?

Mod note: Likvid I have edited your post to make it clearer that you were posting upscaled SD-DVD shots, and they were not representative of bluray playback.

Can you please make sure that you do not post inflammatory or misleading information? This is a HDDVD forum for information on HDDVD players - not for trolling Bluray

I think the problem with comparisons is that to get anything meaningful you'd need to have the same title on both formats, and I for one have no interest in buying the same film twice! Furthermore you'd need to have different codecs presumably to see any difference (although I realise that BD's embrace of MPEG2 means that such comparisons can be done for non-Warner titles).

Also all you are getting is a subjective still as opposed to seeing motion etc, and without the ability to screen grab you have to resort to taking photographs, which unless you have a tripod, or know what you are doing is inherently not a good ground for comparison.

Ironically Likvids pics do show clearly the advantages of HD over SD, or rather how upscaling really isnt anything special.

Here you have the comparison between upscaled DVD and the Toshiba HD-XA1.

upscaled DVD

bourne_bluray.jpg

TOSHIBA HD-DVD

bourne_hddvd.jpg

thanks for the comparison but those images are 425x221, I was really hoping to see the same sort of comparison but for 1280x720 (720p) or a 2 frame 1080i image. Thanks

thanks for the comparison but those images are 425x221, I was really hoping to see the same sort of comparison but for 1280x720 (720p) or a 2 frame 1080i image. Thanks

Don't thank him, he was misleading everyone..

The site that you got these images from does not say that they were upscaled on a Samsung. It says that it is a comparison between the XBox 360 standard DVD player, and the XBox 360 Addon.

http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/68/Xbox-360-HD-DVD-Player/p4/

From the site......
I also checked out "The Bourne Supremacy" in HD DVD at 1080p and 720p, as well as on DVD playing it in the Xbox 360 console drive. First, let's take a look at how "King Kong" performed visually in each format.

it says next to the screen shot that its 1080p (upscaled)

Well.. isn't that what you get from the XBox 360 console? Well anyway there is no mention of a Samsung that I could find.

What we really need is screen grabs from a computer, so you would need the hi-def combo drive system. Then post some almost lossles images of sections of a screen.. just a bit of sky, or part of a face.

Had a quick look around the net and while there don't seem to be any direct frame to frame comparisons of blu-ray and HD, this site has a bucket load of screen grabs from lots of films in both formats;

http://www.cine4home.de/tests/sonstiges/BDvsHD/BRvsHDDVD.htm

I might be wrong (and usuall am) but isn't the point that their isn't really an difference between HD-DVD and Blu Ray as far as PQ is concerned, when done correctly?

So Price, Studio support, and Sound as the only differences.

I'm no expert on sound, but i imagine both formats will be an improvement over DVD sound, and for 95% of the population with mid range AV systems will be good.

Studio support, is well as everyone has said, fluid, and could change like the wind.

Price, well HD-DVD seems to have this bracket at the moment. As a non expert i can't believe the big players, sony, samsung, pioneer and panasonic have set their prices so high. I really just don't believe the production costs have been 3 times higher than for HD-DVD. I suspect they just thought it's new tech lets get as much as we can for it because HD-DVD won't be here to compete.

I think people are looking for differences where there are non at the moment. It's almost as if it's a trick question, after all there is so much big a price difference there must be difference right?

I might be wrong (and usuall am) but isn't the point that their isn't really an difference between HD-DVD and Blu Ray as far as PQ is concerned, when done correctly?

So Price, Studio support, and Sound as the only differences.

I'm no expert on sound, but i imagine both formats will be an improvement over DVD sound, and for 95% of the population with mid range AV systems will be good.

Studio support, is well as everyone has said, fluid, and could change like the wind.

Price, well HD-DVD seems to have this bracket at the moment. As a non expert i can't believe the big players, sony, samsung, pioneer and panasonic have set their prices so high. I really just don't believe the production costs have been 3 times higher than for HD-DVD. I suspect they just thought it's new tech lets get as much as we can for it because HD-DVD won't be here to compete.

I think people are looking for differences where there are non at the moment. It's almost as if it's a trick question, after all there is so much big a price difference there must be difference right?

Actually, the first Blue-Ray titles were worse than the HD-DVD titles of the same film according to people who had both versions. Some people say that this was because of the Blue-Ray codecs being used. I think that this difference has been sorted now, but I did want to see the comparisons between the first releases.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom