1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ScreenGoo, is it as good as a screen !!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by loadsofleads, Jul 26, 2005.

1. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is some special paint used as a 'wall screen' for PJ, I think it's called ScreenGoo or something. Anybody have any expirience with this stuff, and if so how does it compare to different quality screens.

2. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I have no experience of ScreenGoo, but I've heard it's not bad, but isn't quite as good as a decent screen. Additionally most people seem to find that a screen with a black border is much more pleasing a viewing experience. Also, some of the fixed frame screens have velvet type black materials over the borders for the purpose of absorbing any light that hits them.

I have a fixed frame in my front room. I was a bit wary of how it would look not having a retractable screen, but am well pleased with it. And it looks really cool
    even when not in use. But for some who don't want a screen or can't accomodate
    one, ScreenGoo is a good alternative. However, I think you might need very smooth walls for the best picture. If you use it make sure you get some good advice on getting the best from it.

3. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I used to be a plasterer, so getting a good finish on the wall in no problem, I'll trowel it over about 6 times :D
    I would like a electric screen but they are very expensive, might just try the Goo.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    A search on the Projector Screens forum for "Goo" will probably reveal a lot more info if you haven't already. Also have a look for Mississippi Mud or MMud as it is also known. Having said that I use matt white and I'm well pleased...PJ :)

5. mikeaitch

mikeaitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +55
    My Goo screen replaced a mid range Owl electric screen and I actually preferred the Goo!
    Main advantge is better blacks, and the ability to tailor the mix to your specific needs

I have black vevet borders too, bought Goo/flock tape from Nexnix http://shop.nexnix.co.uk/

The best thing to say is that I sold my Owl screen, £500+ quids worth.

You don't have to worry about a flat surface, and it's relatively cheap compared to some solutions , particularly at bigger sizes

Also you can maximise your size to the inch, without having to fit to stock sizes

The only thing is, there's now a mix called MMud which is by all accounts even better as an alternative to Goo, which is what I'm going to use very soon. Although it uses mirrors as it's base surface, reports are that it works extremely well on flat surfaces of all types

HTH :thumbsup:

D

Attached Files:

6. cyberheater

cyberheater

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    A goo screen applied properly should be better then a roll down screen.

It should be perfectly flat for one thing.

One thing I might suggest. Have you tried painting the screen with Dulux icestorm 5 or 6. It's a grey colour available from homebase but they need to mix it up.

A lot of folks have used it painted on walls, hardboard and blackout blind screens and gives you a great screen. The grey helps the blacks as well and it's gonna be a lot cheaper then goo.

7. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    It is. I replaced my Goo 'ply on a wall' with a roll down screen.

The screen is out of sight when rolled up which looks far better, but the contrast and colours were better on the Goo ply.

8. Penfold73

Penfold73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah the Goo white screen paint in particular gets good reviews, outclassing many expensive dedicated screens.

9. eurytus

eurytus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is this for real? Would be much cheaper than Goo and even more so compared to a pull down screen.

And of course it would be so cheap that even if you wanted a full screen later you would not have lost much.