Screendoor on AE 700

T

terrysharp

Hi, could anyone tell me the distance at which I would see pixelation on a 100" diagonal picture projected from 11 feet away, on the panasonic ptae 700.

I ask because my intended viewing distance would be about 10 feet away and I dont know if I am expecting too much to make the picture 100" diagonally and it still appear smooth.

Hi Terry,

Theres no hard and fast rule with screendoor, some people notice it more than others. A very general rule of thumb is to sit 1.5x the screen width away, as a minimum. Although you could quite happily sit closer and not see it. :)

I have a Z3 and the screendoor effect only becomes more noticeable when I stand right next to the screen.

terrysharp said:
Hi, could anyone tell me the distance at which I would see pixelation on a 100" diagonal picture projected from 11 feet away, on the panasonic ptae 700.

I ask because my intended viewing distance would be about 10 feet away and I dont know if I am expecting too much to make the picture 100" diagonally and it still appear smooth.

I sit 8 feet from a 100" diagonal screen and don't notice the screen door at all on my AE700 (i.e. I sit 2.5m from a screen that's 2.2m wide). You have to get pretty close to start noticing the pixels... I have a Sanyo Z2 owning friend and he was amazed (as was I) with the smoothscreen technology. A huge thumbs up!

The AE700 uses a 'smoothscreen' technology to remove visable pixelation and from the review on ProjectorCentral it says that even from a foot away the pixels are barely visable on the AE700. So from that comment, I'd not worry about being 10 foot from a 100inch screen size.

Thanks to all !!!

You've been a great help.

Its nice to talk to people who know what they are talking about.

UrbanT said:
Hi Terry,

Theres no hard and fast rule with screendoor, some people notice it more than others. A very general rule of thumb is to sit 1.5x the screen width away, as a minimum. Although you could quite happily sit closer and not see it. :)

Just a quick question, is that 1.5 times the diagonal width of the screen (ie the figure usually used to quote screen sizes on telly's) or is it 1.5 times the actual width, horizontaly of the screen?
Any clarification?

TBH it makes no difference which figure you use, with modern projectors that firgure has become a little out of date... I dont see the pixels on my AE700 even when I am 0.5x the screen width away.

I actually disagree. It is only a very general guide, and is used to answer the question, 'how close should I sit to the screen?', so becomes relevant to artefacts such as screendoor. Sitting much closer means the image can become too big, so you have to look around the picture, and not at it with the full scene in your field of view.

Your Panasonic uses smoothscreen technology which softens the picture so screendoor becomes irrelevant. However, the Panansonic suffers some of the worst VB of the current projectors, so you can't have it all :)

I have the aforementioned pj, sit 10ft from a 5ft wide screen and cannot see any VB read review on AVS forums in the US and the reviewer mentioned that switching the pj off after the fan stops, at the mains switch, greatly reduces the artefact. anyone else heard of this

Just to back what has already been said. You need to get to within a couple of feet of the screen to see the pixels on the AE700. From a normal viewing distance they are invisible.

Hi

Proud owner of a panny AE700

yup, can't see the pixels unles I put my nose to the screen.....

But it does indeed have pretty bad VB (vertical banding) which none of my friends family etc can see even if it's pointed out, by drives me bonkers!

It's true though if you switch off at the mains it disappears almost totally (you'd have to look for it) quite strange

I'd still recommend it though, I'd personally take VB over screendoor. Plus the PQ is up there with the cheaper DLP models. Very tidy purchase from discounttv

hope this helps

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom