ScreenBurn caused by on screen logos??

V

vogelswatcher

I have read on other websites that the permanent on screen logos displayed by digital program channels can cause screen burn on plasma and LCD screens to the extent that an expensive TV can be permanently damaged.
Does anyone have any information or comments on this subject?

Checkout the Plasma forum as there is a long thread about this. LCD's do not suffer from screen burn as a rule though some people have sugggested some Samsungs do. Do not know how true this is. Basically if you buy a Plasma you should not leave static logos like Eurosport logo on for any length of time ie longer than an hour. There are many Plasma owners who have had no problem with screen burn and therefore theres an argument as to whether its a real problem or not.

My new Sharp LC-32P50E (a 32" LCD) states not to leave images on the screen too long otherwise it may get screen burn! I thought it was mainly a plasma problem. My Panasonic 42" Series 5 is over 2 years old. I turned down the contrast & brightness from "out of the box" settings and then tuned up the screen using Avia & DVE. I can honestly say it has not suffered any burn in, and we are reasonably average, sensible people. So I wouldn't worry too much about burn in on modern screens now.

I have a panasonic plasma Th37pv500 and my daughter watches c beebies and i watch sky sports, these channels have been on for hours at a time, when i watch the cricket all day these channels have logos and i have never had a problem.

LCDs do NOT suffer permanent damage from static display. At all. Regardless of what the copy & paste typist at Samsung says. LCDs can exhibit a short-term temporary retention. Plasmas, when abused, can be damaged permanently.

Thanks for the comments. I feel reassured to know that these irritating logos will not damage the screen. I would still like to see them disappear though.
if anyone else feels the same you can log on to http://logofreetv.org/? to add your support to a proposal to remove these logos.

Further to my last post on this subject.
I have now read my Panasonic manual in detail and am horrified to find the following statement:
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
TV Games/Home Computers
Extended use of TV games or home computers with any television set can cause a “shadow” on the screen. This type of LCD panel phenomenon can be limited by observing the following points:
Reduce the brightness and contrast levels to a minimum viewing level.
Do not allow a still picture to be displayed for an extended period, as this can cause a permanent after-image to remain on the LCD TV screen.
Examples of still pictures include logos, video games, computer images, teletext, and images displayed in 4:3 mode.
This type of LCD panel damage is not an operating defect and as such is not covered by the Panasonic warranty.
I cannot understand why, if this is the case, the manufacturing industry is not putting pressure on the digital program providers to remove thes logos.
If the manufacturer is opting out of the warranty and fair enough, they are not causing the problem, then does a consumer have a case for compensation against the program provider?
I believe that this potential problem should be debated at a much higher level, if we are to see any change in the situation

Legal warnings cost the manufacturers very little BUT offer them huge protection even if the situation they are warning againest is very very rare.

Same sort of thing as a warning on a packet of peanuts which says "may contain nuts".

vogelswatcher said:
Further to my last post on this subject.
I have now read my Panasonic manual in detail and am horrified to find the following statement:
WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS
TV Games/Home Computers
Extended use of TV games or home computers with any television set can cause a “shadow” on the screen. This type of LCD panel phenomenon can be limited by observing the following points:
Reduce the brightness and contrast levels to a minimum viewing level.
Do not allow a still picture to be displayed for an extended period, as this can cause a permanent after-image to remain on the LCD TV screen.
Examples of still pictures include logos, video games, computer images, teletext, and images displayed in 4:3 mode.
This type of LCD panel damage is not an operating defect and as such is not covered by the Panasonic warranty.
I cannot understand why, if this is the case, the manufacturing industry is not putting pressure on the digital program providers to remove thes logos.
If the manufacturer is opting out of the warranty and fair enough, they are not causing the problem, then does a consumer have a case for compensation against the program provider?
I believe that this potential problem should be debated at a much higher level, if we are to see any change in the situation

They should be forced, by law, to give these warnings on sales literature etc., not just in manuals which you don't get to read until after you've made your purchase - that way, you make your buying decision based on some extra knowledge.

Cheers,

Martin.

It's simply not true of LCD screens. They will stand hours and hours (forever, even) of static display without permanent damage. Anybody who has an LCD PC monitor will know that there's no permanent evidence of the Windows TaskBar, for example. The same cannot be said for Plasma nor CRT.

I was very surprised to see that warning in my Sharp LCD manual.

I suspect they're being a little paranoid!

Thanks Nigel,
What you say about LCD monitors is true, so I am going to stop worrying and enjoy my Panny! Though I still think these logos are an unecessary intrusion and we should have the choice of removing them.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom