1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen/wall/blind advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by L c, Feb 11, 2004.

1. L c

L c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First post :smoke:

Ive had my projector (Sanyo PLC-SU20e) for over 2 years now, projecting onto a wall painted in matt white cheapo homebase paint.

Im setting up my equipment in a different room, im wondering whether to paint a wall (or a rectangle) white, if so what is the best paint to use or should i get a roll down blind similar to some of the people in the gallery. Obviously im on a budget and cannot afford a proper screen.

Sorry if this question gets asked all the time, ive been browsing the forum since yesterday havent found a similar question, mainly cos im still going through the gallery ;o)

Thanks

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Many on a tight budget find a blackout blind works very well .. hint: use the forum Search feature for "IKEA", that'll find you several discussions on this subject. :)

3. L c

L c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for the advice but reading other peopls experience i dont like the idea of a blind with ripples.

its a plain wall so im gona go with painting it like my previous wall, possibly with a black border with black paint. What white paint is recommended?

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,142
    A lot of folk swear by Dulux Icestorm 6, theres a thread currently in the screens forum on the subject here

5. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Ring nexnix they have a new paint that embarrased one of their £1200 screens, i think its about £100 a tin though.

6. L c

L c

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    /oops didnt see the screens forum

k im gona get a tub of the icestorm, £100 a tin for the other stuff is a bit ott for me atm.

cheers for the help!

7. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its highly reflective and do not quote me on £100, may be less.

8. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im using a 200cm width blackout blind..on the first pull up, the screen devolped ripples........as a short term alternative a blind is good on a long term no way .......................................

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    If you can paint the wall, you could try a fixed screen - make a wooden frame and then stretch and staple blackout cloth over it. I made an 84" wide 16:9 screen from wood (B&Q) and blackout clothe. It cost me less than £30 3 years ago including screws and staples.

Pics on my website if you're interested.

Gary.

10. chrisgriffiths

chrisgriffiths

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're on a budget Dunelm Mills ( website ) white blackout cloth is £3.99 a metre (i think it is 54" width), also if you ask they will put it on a cardboard roll for you instead of folding it into a carrier bag, when doing this they use a rolling machine which gets rid of any creases too. The lady who served me was great, i told her what i was doing and she locked for the least creased roll, and gave me 3 1/2 metres for the price of 3 as the first bit was a bit 'ropey'! :clap:

I've just been down this DIY route and it cost a total of £19 for a 2 metre wide 16:9 screen including timber and 4 right angle brackets @ 20p each to make sure it was square. :smashin: