1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen vs Wall? Experiences?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mavoz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Mavoz

Mavoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I'm really keen to hear peoples experiences of buying a screen versus using a wall. Is it marketing hype that says 'A screen makes a big difference' or did you find you noticed a real difference over just using a wall?

I have the Panasonic AE 700 and my current wall is off white...is smooth...and I've been quite happy with the picture...but maybe a screen would add even more? Did you notice improvements when you purchased a screen? What were they?

Would love to hear from some real people experiences as opposed to glossy brochure/web sites extolling the virtues but not mentioning much in real world comparison.

If I do get a screen this is an option I'm looking at: (Australian site.)

http://www.ausmedia.com.au/longhorn_screens.htm

Thanks,

Matt

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    A good screen will improve the image, but whether it's worth all that money is more difficult to answer.

Painting your wall matt white will offer an instant improvement if your wall, as you mentioned, isn't white.

A black border will improve perceived contrast.

The carada screens look good... http://www.carada.com

My screen is a DIY job made from MDF - does a great job for less than thirty quid. I'm sure the screens above would be better, but you rapidly hit the law of diminishing returns in this area...PJ :)

3. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. Crivens

Crivens

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine has an AE100 projected onto his white wall. I have a HS50 projected onto a screen, and I have to say the picture does look a lot better. Now fair enough the HS50 is a fair bit better projector than the AE100, but it's more than that. Essentially with the screen the HS50 looks *almost* as good as my 36" CRT TV, and you forget you are watching a screen, whereas the AE100 projected onto a wall is hard to forget it's on the wall. It's just so noticeable in comparison. Hard to describe, and I unfortuantly have dark walls (and nowhere to project onto anyway) to compare the screen with a projection onto a wall for the HS50.

Cheers

5. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I started off projecting my H30 on a magnolia wall and was quite pleased with the result. I then changed to a grandview pull down screen a few weeks later which gave the image more punch, better whites and with the black border an overall more pleasing image.

I stayed with the pull down screen for a few months but got annoyed with the slight ripples in the screen which produced slight distortions evident in panning shots.

Finally I painted my screen wall matt black and purchased a Carada Brilliant White Criterion screen. This improved the picture again with a bit more punch gain up to 1.4 from 1.3. Blacks were not quite as good but the texture and uniform flatness of the new screen seemed to give the image a bit more detail. Plus the distracting distortions caused by the minor ripples were completely gone.

If you can't be bothered going the DIY route, then the Carada sceen is a good option. I've been very pleased with mine and there customer service was second to none.

6. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have the infocus 4805 I started projecting on a magnolia wall which was acceptable now I have purchased a Beamax R sereies 203cm screen and its noticably better even my mate who is not into AV at all who still has a 21" CRT notcied the big improvement.

7. Mavoz

Mavoz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for this feedback.While the Panasonic does well even with a wall....It's interesting to hear people finding a noticeable improvement when they move up to a dedicated screen.

As to the DIY option...I thought about this...but personally would find it easier to just get something pre made. (Even though I haven't ruled it out..thanks for those tips.)

As to the Carada screens they looked like really good value..but the killer was really the cost of shipping to Australia. At least $171 U.S. dollars + possible import duty.
    For that amount of postage I think I'd be better off putting the money into a local manufacturer's screen. That postage pays for near half of a screen I can buy here.

But as to the quality...I have no ideas as to how the Australian stuff stacks up.

Either of these:
    http://www.ausmedia.com.au/longhorn_screens.htm (Australian Dollars at about 77 US cents.)

http://www.screentechnics.com.au/cataloguelist.asp?startlink=Fixed Frame Screens

Thanks again.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    In my experience there isn't a lot of difference betweeen the matte white materials used by the various manufacturers. Then again a white painted wall is just as good for a screen so long as it's flat. If you can accomodate one I would advise buying a fixed frame screen as there won't be any problems with ripples or curls that you can get with a roll up screen.