1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Viewing Distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GliderRider, Dec 20, 2004.

1. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a formula for working out the ideal viewing distance. My distance from the screen will be 3.5 to 4m max. My wall can accomodate a screen size of 2.4m X 1.35m. Will this be too big? I don't really want go smaller than 2m X 1.12.
    My room is 4.5 X 3.5m, Screenplay 7200, I'm about to order Goo Digital light grey screen paint to go straight onto wall finished with flok tape.

Any experts out there than can give an ideal screen size for this setup? Would certainly be much appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

2. MississippiMan

MississippiMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

Your desired size is fine. I regularly go to 3 meters x 1.7 meters in rooms where the first row of seats are only 3.5 meters back.

Anytime your viewing a HD source, you should have no provlem with the image clarity. But with Goo, there is a increase in SDE noticed by many. Goo produces a bright picture but with the Bright White undercoat reflecting upwards through the translucent Top coat, the pixelation or grids that comprise the image structure are often accentuated, this is a shame, because the need to "move back" is caused not by the need to meld the structure of an image into a watchable state, but rather to avoid seeing "too much" detail.

Ah but the smaller the screen, the lessor the experience. Your optimum screen size using DG Goo would be 2.4 m x 1.35 m if you can set as far back as possible. Step down to 2.0 meters wide ad you'll be safe for sure.

3. GliderRider

GliderRider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup: Thanks, that's encouraging. I'll compromise and go for 2.2 X 1.125.

Cheers

Andy