Screen to go with Screenplay 7210?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lobo, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Lobo

Lobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I just bought a Screenplay 7210 and am looking for a 8ft wide screen to go with it. Im new to this so I dont know anything about type of screen, what gain, etc.

I cant use a fixed screen, but Im happy to go with a manual pull down screen for the moment to keep the costs down. I should be able to get near back-out conditions in my room, although the walls are quite light, if that makes a difference.

What would you guys suggest? Does the material matter or should I just be looking at the gain?

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,758
    Infocus projectors tend to be quite bright and what I would recommend will depend on wether or not you want to have cinema levels of brightness or a brighter image more like a plasma or tv.

A matt screen or a screen with a small amount of gain up to 1.3 will need an nd2 filter to dim the image down for cinema levels of brightness. When the lamp ages and dims, you can take the nd2 filter off and get some image brightness back - almost like getting a new lamp. :)

If you prefer a brighte image, then you won't need the nd2, but you might notice the image is a bit 'noisy', i.e dancing dots in some places.

Can you project onto a white(ish) wall at that size? You might get an idea of what a matt screen looks like from the wall and know if you want it brighter or are happy with it as it is.

Light walls can allow light from bright areas of the image to bounce back onto the screen and reduce the image contrast to some degree, so darker non reflective walls are better. It depends on how picky you are about image quality and compromising yiour living room. It can be a bit of a balancing act. :)

Gary.