Screen Texture Visible

Lukeee24

Novice Member
Hey everyone, so I recently bought a BenQ W1070. I have to say I love it! Was a bit worried it wouldn't look as good as a T.V but it's as good if not better and the huge screen makes it worth every penny!

Now the problem. On light scenes of both films and games I can see the texture of the screen and it's starting to annoy me slightly. I watched oblivion the other night and stared at it most the way through after I noticed it. I think it's because I bought a cheap screen so the texture shows up with some sparkly parts particularly in the centre of the image.

Is there anything I can do to lessen it?

Thanks for any help.

Lukeee24

Novice Member
Thanks for the reply Gary,

Yeah it sounds the same as that problem really. I have set the brightness and contrast according to the recommended settings on this forum but they make no difference if I lower them or raise them from that.

The screen I have is: PCW80MM 80" HD Projector Screen 16:9 Widescreen Matte: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

As you can tell it's cheap and nasty lol. The screen feels textured when I run my hand on it, and I think the gain is 1 the advert doesn't say but I think it was mentioned in the reviews

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
It may be the texture or brightness - it's a small screen and that pj has a lot of lumens so will be a lot brighter than a plasma, so will need dimming down. That will help with reducing and may eliminate the screen texture visibility. Can you try placing sunglasses in front of the pj lens and see how the image looks? (and don't say a lot cooler :) )

Gary

panman40

Distinguished Member
I have a sapphire electric white 1.0 gain and up close has a texture, optomas and Grandveiw have texture to, however definitely no sparklies on any of them, sounds like the material on the cheapie I think.

Paul Hayward

Just for the record, 'sparkles' and 'texturing' which includes a kind of glistening, are usually one and the same thing. I saw this on my old Firehawk screen and it is annoying as it takes you out of the film. The only solution is to replace the screen with a higher quality unity gain screen. Currently I use a white paint wall with no issues and I must say I do love the look of the image.

Lukeee24

Novice Member
Thanks for all of your replies guys.

I have the brightness set to about 49 and contrast at around 51 ATM, if lower it more than that it tends to ruin the whites and crush the blacks. I will try with the shades over the lense and see how it looks thanks!

I think you're right Panman, definitely the cheap material, that's why I was hoping there was a way to coat it or smoothen the texture as i think its just an additional layer over the top of the smooth screen to get the gain right isn't it? And as it's a small screen with a bright projector making the screen less reflective wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't have thought.

Yeah I don't want to have to replace the screen till I have a larger room I can work with and maybe get a fixed frame screen then. Maybe I will get used to the texture but as it stands it is annoying lol.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
Just for the record, 'sparkles' and 'texturing' which includes a kind of glistening, are usually one and the same thing. I saw this on my old Firehawk screen and it is annoying as it takes you out of the film. The only solution is to replace the screen with a higher quality unity gain screen. Currently I use a white paint wall with no issues and I must say I do love the look of the image.

Hi Paul,

I was lucky enough to attend one of Stewart Filmscreens Firehawk Tours a few years back (thanks to Jeff), and Don Stewart himself said that a good painted wall can give good results. Considering they sell what are considered to be the best (and probably the most expensive) screens in the world, that was quite a revelation to hear.

What did you do with your Firehawk?

Gary

panman40

Distinguished Member
Thanks for all of your replies guys.

I have the brightness set to about 49 and contrast at around 51 ATM, if lower it more than that it tends to ruin the whites and crush the blacks. I will try with the shades over the lense and see how it looks thanks!

I think you're right Panman, definitely the cheap material, that's why I was hoping there was a way to coat it or smoothen the texture as i think its just an additional layer over the top of the smooth screen to get the gain right isn't it? And as it's a small screen with a bright projector making the screen less reflective wouldn't be an issue I wouldn't have thought.

Yeah I don't want to have to replace the screen till I have a larger room I can work with and maybe get a fixed frame screen then. Maybe I will get used to the texture but as it stands it is annoying lol.

There was a guy on the forum somewhere recently that painted his white screen grey and had no issues, I once bought some paint that I tested on an empty plastic bottle, once dry I crushed the bottle and the paint did not even crack, clever stuff.

Lukeee24

Novice Member
That paint sounds impressive!! What type did you use? Thinking I might paint it as it was only a cheap screen and it is annoying lol.

Other option is send it back and get a different one but there aren't many 80" ones about and I don't want to pay a lot because I want a bigger screen when I can move it to a better room.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom