• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

screen tearing with vlc - new build

ricflairandy

Established Member
hi guys, just put a new system together.

phenom II x6 1055t,
16gb ram
HD6950

Thought it would run well, have installed windows 7 64bit from scratch, but playing an old avi through vlc, im seeing screen tearing.

Tried far cry 3 and its fine running at mostly ultra, but vlc screen tearing with a low ish res avi.

Any ideas?

ricflairandy

Established Member
screen is my 3dtv, 60hz.

Thing is my previous system, was a x4 955, with a gtx460 and only 4gb ram and that never had any screen tearing issues.

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
no idea, probably. bit it also happens within windows when scrolling web pages etc.

Well, with films, it can be v-sync issues, as well as mismatched refresh (that is, 23.976 Hz/24 Hz isn't an exact multiple into 60 Hz, so you get judder.

To fix the above, your screen needs to support 24p. The setting in XBMC as an example, is "force screen refresh to match video". That way, the screen refresh automatically changes depending on the content.

Tearing in Windows suggests v-sync and/or not the latest GPU drivers.

ricflairandy

Established Member
i just tried the beta drivers and its the same. Its driving me mad i feel like tossing the thing out of the window. Cant find a v-sync anywhere. My gtx460 was better than this

Qactuar

Distinguished Member
i just tried the beta drivers and its the same. Its driving me mad i feel like tossing the thing out of the window. Cant find a v-sync anywhere. My gtx460 was better than this

Have you still got it to try out? Have you also looked for a specific monitor driver file too?

ricflairandy

Established Member
Got it, bloody log me in and its mirror driver. Removed it and its ok now. It disables aero , which for some reason causes the ati drivers to basically perform like ****.

Finally sorted!

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom