• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Screen "Tearing" CRT

C

charlep

Hi,
I'm not sure if i just didnt notice it before because lack of xbox, but the sides of the image displayed on my Panny TX28DT2 seem to be torn from the sides of the screen. The edges are not square, and in some places the image is a significant distance away from the sides of the screen. Its almost as if the screen is made of material and the glue around the edge has come unstuck, not sure how else to describe the effect. The effect seems much more pronounced when playing xbox games, but even in DVD films any vertical lines towards the screen Left and Right sides are not displayed as straight. Any recommendations as to what it is, and what to do about it? The TV was 2nd hand but would rather not have to bin it.
Also unconnectedly it sometimes makes a buzzing noise from the speakers (even when muted), not sure why?
Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Medusa

Banned
Hi,
I'm not sure if i just didnt notice it before because lack of xbox, but the sides of the image displayed on my Panny TX28DT2 seem to be torn from the sides of the screen. The edges are not square, and in some places the image is a significant distance away from the sides of the screen. Its almost as if the screen is made of material and the glue around the edge has come unstuck, not sure how else to describe the effect. The effect seems much more pronounced when playing xbox games, but even in DVD films any vertical lines towards the screen Left and Right sides are not displayed as straight. Any recommendations as to what it is, and what to do about it? The TV was 2nd hand but would rather not have to bin it.
Also unconnectedly it sometimes makes a buzzing noise from the speakers (even when muted), not sure why?
Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Could be an electrolytic capacitor gone faulty on one of the main HT/LT Lines?
Another job for an experienced Engineer.:devil:

GoodLuck!

C

charlep

cheers for the prompt reply! Could you confirm which of the problems you think was caused by the electrolytic capacitor? Being as the TV only cost me £50 on ebay i'm guessing its gonna be a case of once it dies dump it?
Charlie

Medusa

Banned
cheers for the prompt reply! Could you confirm which of the problems you think was caused by the electrolytic capacitor? Being as the TV only cost me £50 on ebay i'm guessing its gonna be a case of once it dies dump it?
Charlie

There could be high voltage from the p/supply or just normal loss of capacitance.
Some cap's need to be upgraded to a higher voltage rating.
e.g.10 microfarad @ 25v upgraded to 10 microfarad @35v

Do you know someone with TV repair Experiance that can have a look?
Otherwise it's the BIN!

GoodLuck!:devil:

C

charlep

Know someone yeah but unfortunately the TV is back up at uni up north, and the guy is near home down south, so i think this may be a good excuse to buy a new TV! Just have to try and raise the funds. Thanks for the help, was hoping there'd be a quick fix to keep me going for the moment. Ah well.
Cheers,
Charlie

C

charlep

Quick update. Back with the TV now.
The screen tearing is much more pronounced when playing xbox games, than watching freeview (both external sources), and DVDs via xbox also seems to be less bad than Games via xbox.
Any ideas?

C

charlep

I was hoping it'd be menu adjustable, as i know you can adjust the shape of a CRT monitor image, i presumed you could do the same with a TV, but as you say it was only 50 quid so might as well dump it.
Cheers for the advice.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
I was hoping it'd be menu adjustable, as i know you can adjust the shape of a CRT monitor image, i presumed you could do the same with a TV

If it's as bad as you stated in your original post I would say it's a fault and no amount of tinkering within the service menu will fix it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom