1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen speakers as centre channel?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by esrg, Aug 5, 2004.

1. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After much diliberation and review of these forums (most helpful) I've just taken delivery of my 42PD5200. :clap:

This model comes with speakers and I want to see if can use them as the centre for 5.1. Anyone done this before? Use their screen speakers as the centre channel?

I'm not sure about the best way to go about it is. I am planning on just splitting the signal from the receiver and wiring direct into speakers along with the output from the inbuilt tuner.

Does anyone know a better way?

2. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    You're planning to use the 2 speakers as the center channel? I don't really think this is such a good plan, you're better having a 5.1 speaker set of compatible speakers. My speakers from my 42PD5300 have never left their box, don't know what to do with them really.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    But the hitachi has an audio input for this purpose doesn't it? Blu Ray, I tend to agree with you, but it's possible, I think you use the centre pre out on your amp. They will sound like poxy TV speakers, but will work. I wouldn't bother personally, but hey, that's just me. I have 4 centre speakers already.

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Isn't that just being plain greedy? :eek: :D

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,464
    esrg

What's the rest of your 5:1 system going to be - as others have said its technically possible to use one (or both) of the Plasma speakers as part of a 5:1 system - though its equally as possible that it will be nigh on impossible to get a decent sound out of these speakers and they certainly wont 'sound' like the majority of Front Left and Right speakers in any half decent 5:1 system.

The Centre channel handles a huge amount of info in most Movies and TV shows and getting it wrong destroys the surround sound experience; like others I'd not want to use my Plasma speakers as part of my 5:1 system.

Best regards

Joe

6. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The issue is my 5.1 is bit of a hybrid. Front 3 bose acoustimass (3.1) and then my rear surrounds are gale 30's. Then a gale 3080 as a sub because the bose comes from the speaker channels and there no LF signals sent there with 5.1 decoding(I think). Anyway I digress, The bose centre speaker is an ugly brut and sticks out miles and the Mrs wont have it! Plus, it's cr*p for mid frequencies.

Unless I can get a Flat centre that wont stick miles out of the wall I'm onto a loser.

Although, the audio in sounds like a good plan. Haven't had the TV out of the box yet so missed that option (thanks Maw). The other consideration is that I don't really want things like Eastenders & 'House Improver' etc in 5.1 so want the TV speakers for normal tele.

Are the speakers really that bad on the Hitachi it appeared to have good reviews?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I can now see the logic though I get on well with pro-logic for ordinary TV (don't watch soaps though). The speakers might well be better than bose, I refuse to capitalise that noun. As to reviews, as this forum is sponsored by one of the magazines, my scorn cannot be adequately expressed.

8. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmmm, okay, so the audio in... Not sure what my receiver will do. (Sony STRD495- You can tell I'm on a tight budget right!) There is a std phono audio out but I don't think I'll be able to send only the centre signal through it.

I think one may be a trial and error thing.

9. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The speakers on the 5300 arent actually that bad - Ive been quite impressed to be honest.

I was in the same situation as you - but didnt want to get rid of my mission centtre speaker - so i kept it and cut a hole in the wall under the plasma so that it sits flush - really pleased with the result

10. esrg

esrg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it's reassuring you rate the Tv speakers, but they're not good enough to stop you hacking at the wall ;)

hmmm, hadn't thought of cutting holes in the wall. That's pretty hardcore. Mine's on a firebreast though so I may end up frazzling the back of any potential protrusion.

11. siy

siy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well - to be honest I didnt really think about using the tv speakers as a centre channel. My wife uses them for \Corrie/eastenders etc....but they are pretty good.

I wanted to keep the same speakers and centre so the wall toook a beating