Screen sparkle from Exclusiv Home screen with AX-100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by therealgiblet, Dec 29, 2006.

1. therealgiblet

therealgiblet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I've messed up a bit!

I bought a screen from Exclusiv Home to use with my AX-100 and the screen is sparkling loads. The 1.2 gain and screen finish is obviously not well suited to the 2000 lumen output from the projector.

Also - I have to turn the PJ's brightness down to -24 to get a decent black...

The projector is ceiling mounted.

Can someone recommend a better electric screen to use. I'm looking at a 72" or close. I was thinking of the Sapphire range as the gain is 0.89:1. I use my projector in a lit and unlit environment and play a lot of online games with my 360 (if that has any bearing :).

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

giblet

PS I followed all recommendations from this site and I'm very happy with my setup (apart from the screen), so cheers for all the help!

Sony 1200es amp
    Canton speakers 6.1
    AX-100 projector
    Quality cables all the way :)

2. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    So, I'm not the only one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Firstly, I have questions, did u purchased the screen from Germany or our man in Canterbury - HCVS.
    The German screen is titled a V4. It is an ultra matte screen and should not suffer from any reflection whatsoever. The screen is not glassbeaded or coated with any form of fibreglass.

The Uk screen is titled a V5 but is in fact the German V4 just better packaged. The screen rolls out a little slower though is much smoother.
    Both our German buddy and our UK chappy have their screens (to my understanding) imported in containers from China.
    The UK based V5 is advertised as being "coated in fibreglass". This is not suggested in the V4.
    I believe i am the only one here who has first hand experience of both a V4 and V5, at least thats what i thought:eek: . It transpires from the UK source that the actual screen sent to me ( SPARKLIES GALORE) may have been in the wrong batch and shouldn't be sparkly at all. He tells me that the V5 isn't actually fibreglass. On this basis i am waiting for my screen to be collected by Rich and a new one delivered (haven't heard back yet).

Now, the V4 is a decent enough screen. The German one i have (soon "had" since i'm giving it to my brother in law) is 1.8 mtrs in size. I have run this with my AX100 at 1.8 and even expanded the pic to see whether i'd get pixelation at 2mtrs. No sparklies at all!!! It is ultra matte and perfect.

The V5 sent to me however has a shinier and far more textured material which reflects my spotlights as well as the projector bulb. It is absolutely ghastly and even in eco-mode with brightness knocked down i can see sparklies in bright scenes. Ouch. However, i can see that the Uk screen exhibits a much cleaner and less pixelated pic, dont ask why. THe pics look much more vibrant. However that small portion of the screen which exhibits the bulb reflection damn well pisses me right off to the point that i end up watching that as opposed to the movie on the screen!!!

The screen i have been sent and no doubt the same one that has unfortunately been sent to u appears to be from the same batch which are not typical of the screens which we expected. I have the original V4 which is perfect. Imported from Germany and no sparkies even when i play a movie in living room dynamic at 2mtrs. The Uk one which is not supposed to be the proper one however is a much greyer screen and has a very shiny texture to the material again not to my understanding typical of the screen.

You and i seem to be the only ones who have complained of sparklies and i would probably contact the German chap and ask him for a replacement on the basis that the screen provided does not satisy its intended purpose.
    Exclusive advertises that there are no hotspots and u clearly will have some. You are under warranty and the guy will surely replace the screen for u with a properV4 screen.

I am waiting to hear from HCVS regarding a replacement for my screen. It looks like the mistake goes back to the underpaid poverty stricken staff in China who have mixed our screens up in the wrong batch.

Others, also owning the same screen and projector will tell u that their screens are fine.

Sorry for the lengthy reply but i thought i'd pass on my better understanding having spent ages comparing my screens and communicating with HCVS who to date have been excellent in dealing with this throughout. I'll keep you posted.

3. therealgiblet

therealgiblet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hello mate - thanks for your reply.

I'm glad I'm not going mad - it's just I can get a better picture projecting onto a wall than projecting onto this screen which kind of defeats the object of having a screen!

I bought my screen from Germany - I've not even heard of HCVS??? I would of bought from HCVS though as I live here.... do you know their address or website?

Basically if I tell Exclusiv Home that my screen is sparkling and that my v4 is from the 'sparkly' batch is that enought to get a replacement... surely they'll just blame my projector? Should I reference HCVS as they understand the problem?

Anyway cheers for the reply.

giblet

4. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    hello mate.

i felt exactly the same.. better projecting on wall!!! lol. I'm not going mad either.

The guy has been on the forums (german guy) go to the cheap electric screens thread and u'll get his username.
    Email him and tell him the problem. I'm sure he'll replace if u explain the problem. I've explained it on my end and looking to get a replacement.

Do a search under electric screens on ebay. The seller is called HCSV. At least u can go and physically check out the screen before taking one.

5. therealgiblet

therealgiblet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi

I found

http://www.hcsv.co.uk/shop/catalog/

It says they're closing for business.

You better make sure you're going to get that replacement.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers

giblet

6. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    The company is under new management. they are now pretty much ebay based at present.. I did my research ;-)