1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

screen size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Nic Rhodes, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am just about to buy a projector screen for a NEC 9PG, I was wondering what size people recommend. I am after quality rather than quantity.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I think 7' wide (84") is the recommended ideal size.

Wait for a reply from Gordon though.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Gordon is supplying the screen! I am unsure whether to go for a 72 inch or 80 inch in my new room.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Best ask him.

7' is the biggest I'd go for though.

May have an NEC of my own sometime...

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    So much will depend on the distance you will be viewing from and indeed the number of people. Recon to be betweeen about 1.5 and 2 times the screen width away.

Your projector would be more than capable of doing both sizes. If your budget is limited but you must go for a high quality screen like a Stewart or Vutec. Then the smaller screen will be cheaper.

Whilst it doesn't affect the screen size as such the source material has an effect. Scan lines from standard video may be come anoyingly visable on a larger screen as you are temped to move closer.

6. Chris Bellamy

Chris Bellamy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi, Beekeeper,

Joe Kane said (in the wsr Imaging Science 2000 guide, I think) that he’s downsized his 9” crt demos to 72” wide screens, because he now believes that is the biggest size for the best picture quality. He doesn’t seem to hold to the old 7ft screen maxim any more. He is of course at the extreme end of quality vs. quantity scale...

I’ve precisely the same dilemma as yourself, with no clearcut solution, as in my (to be done) room, a 72” wide 1.78 ratio screen feels just right for 1.78ish movies (I seem to like about 1.5-1.6 screen widths viewing distance for those films), but a teeny bit small for 2.35 and 1.33 movies. Nevertheless, I dont intend to go for Bjoern Roy's constant area solution as its a bit too overcomplicated in practice for me!

I’m very likely to go for the 72” wide 1.77 Studiotek 1.3 from Gordon and just sit a bit closer for other film ratios if it bothers me. I’ve considered a copout solution of a 76” wide screen, but that would cost extra as a non-standard size. I’ve also considered a 72” 1.33 screen to give me the chance to see old format movies (I’m a fan) with the full phosphor, and mask appropriately for others. It’s all very difficult!

Let us know what you choose.

In case anyone reading hasn’t seen it, I thought this screen viewing distance calculator was informative and fun to play around with:

http://www.myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancecalculator.html

regards,
    Chris

7. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I went for a non-standard size in my room to get the screen border out the way of the speakers behind it.

I think my screen width is about 6.3ft, and it didn't cost that much more i don't think ???

While in Vegas at a talk with Sam Runco he was also saying that 6.5ft was about as far as he would recommend for optimum 9" CRT operation.

Go for 6 - 7 Feet it will be perfect :)

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'n my days at Barco I once did a 24ft wide image in a cinema with a 9" projector. The image wasn't cinema but when your eyes got used to it it wasn't bad.

Mr Runco would turn in his grave.

There is of course only one person who has to be satisfied

9. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    It's not the size, it's what you do with it that counts. ;)

10. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nic,

I've got a 72" Stewart and in a word..... awesome! Would I go for a bigger screen? No way, however we dont all have the albert hall as our HC's :p

Steve

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    I have already suggested 72-80". I am sureimage will be best with smallest screen but as Roland says there is the whole room to be considered aned other viewers. Nic's room is pretty big. The 72" screen starts looking small.

What I tended to do at SS for clients was do a chalk line type thing on floor of our largest room then get tape and create the ideal size screen outline on the wall. That way the proportions are very easily understandeable.

Sorry it's such a toughy Nic!

Gordon

12. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I told my son off yesterday for sitting too close to the television.

Later when he had gone to bed, I did a rough calculation of where he was sitting.

1.8 times the screen width away !! just about what is considered as ideal.

I think I'm proud, but how do I tell him off next time?

13. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Tell him that the picture is too low res for sitting that close, and should be at least a pro-scan picture from that distance or he will see the scan lines too much. :D

14. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Right this simple decision has been the biggy in the new room, god knows why though. Never heard of this Kane guy but I am never one to be outdone on quality so 72 inches it is. I figure if I have not got bigger I will never miss it.

so it is a Luxus Delux Velux screenwalls, 16:9 with Studiotek 130

If I ever go bigger it likely to be with a panel in the future so a pull down rather than my fixed one would add to the room.

The room by the way is 27 foot long. Hope I have made the right decision, thanks for your help guys.

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Elliot,
    That's rich coming from Sam Runco. Runco once believed, Joe Kane, who had been claiming for years, that the max size for any CRT should be 7ft wide had lost his marbles . Seems he's now come round to the Video guru's way of thinking. In fact he all but admitted this in an interview with Gary Reber (WSR) last year.

Nic,
    Two things have come to light regarding CRT installations over the last few years. Firstly. Find the nearest bin and throw away the lense programme(screen size/projector distance ratio) handed out by most of the CRT manufacturers.
    The vast majority of these calculations are for 1.33-1 screens. 99% of installations today use 1.78-1 screens.

Directly related to the above, the second problem has been the fact that many folks have just not been using the (safe) available raster area available to them. Yes stay away from the edges but not by miles. This last point has been the buzz word over in the states for ages now. Move the bloody thing forward a little. More raster area, more brightness and indeed more everything.

I use Sony G70 and have total light control. The G70 is like a lighthouse and as I can acieve complete darkness, I use a Stewart Studiotek 130 with an image area of 87" x 49".
    I have a few friends in the industry based in the States and many use the above size including John Gannon.

I agree that going smaller is better, brighter etc etc but to me, a 6ft screen (with a good 8 or 9 inch PJ, all depending on the constraints of wall width/room size of course) is just a little to negative. Yes the chair can be moved forward to increase field of view but the loss in snap and increase in percieved video noise/grain by going to a slightly larger screen is negligible.

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Eric

thanks for you comments, I will chew them over during the weekend. I am sure my baby NEC9PG doesn't have the light projecting abilities of your G70. I wonder what size other NEC owners went for?

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're welcome Nic.
    If you can get complete light control in your room, IMO you'll be fine with a 7ft screen with your 9PG.

18. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    I'm pretty sure Elliot has a 9PG like yourself, and he mentioned his screen size as about 6.3ft width.
    I'm sure Gordon can give you his professional opinion on what that looks like.:cool:

19. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whatever it looks like. It'll look even better by the end of next week. On that you can rely :rolleyes: :D

20. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh,
    Just checked, X3ELS owns a 10PG, not a 9.