1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Dak, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi
    I have asked this question before within another thread ,but wanted to throw it open as I still am a little hesitant to commit to a pj / screen:

I have looked at various pj's (currently considering the NEC HT1000 or the Sony HS10) and am considering screen sizes. I have looked at the various (very helpful) calculators that help work out the sizes for throw distances etc but my question is a bit less technical:

How large a screen is ideal for a lounge with a 12 foot throw distance from a daily watching it point of view? ie if I am sat 12 feet away, how big is suitable to see it all without craning the neck or getting tennis neck etc etc?

I am hoping for some comments from those that live with a pj in a similar circumstance......

Thanks
    Dak

2. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dak,

I think the general rule of thumb is you sit no less then 1.5X the screen width, so if I was you I'd go with a 80"x45" 16:9 screen.

Hope this helps!

3. Dan18

Dan18
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dak,
    I'm a projector newbie and just got a Sony HS10. The 1.5 x rule is just a guide. I am projecting onto our wall until I decide on the final screen size but bigger seems to be better. I just zoom up to the maximum size in most cases and it looks fantastic. With this projector there is hardly any loss of quality as the picture gets larger. I have not seen any screen-door and the cinema-like experience is great. I think its worth experimenting before buying your screen.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The big screen looks big, but remember, in time you will start to see the finer details at which point you may decide a smaller screen would be better. I definitely wouldnt go beyond 80 inch

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,738
    I have a 110" diagonal image, sitting 11' away, and I still love the damn thing.

Buns is right that after a while you do notice more flaws, but personally I wouldn't let that put me off.

I only have one problem....8' wide is too damn small now:D

6. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Guys.

I was going to project from 12 foot using the sideshot feature but having heard the criticisms of the effect this has on the picture may put it under the coffee table.

Throw then is just 6 foot........

7. GoggleBoy

GoggleBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    6 foot with a HS10? you will get a small image m8 49 in max. You will need to find a projectpr with a shorter throw. I am in the same boat and am looking at a Z1 or perhaps a TW100 etc.

8. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    Mount it upside down on the ceiling, central to the screen laterally. Just do it.

9. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Large chandelier blocks that option.........

10. Zig

Zig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Zig puts the "Large chandelier " into the wheelie bin for Dak

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You could always get a quick release light fitting which takes about 1 second to remove the light. B&Q sell them and are meant for taking them down for cleaning etc. Look like a brass ceiling rose and work fantastically. Cost about £12. Brilliant. Used one all the time when I had a pj in the lounge.

Only downer, you need to find somewhere to put the chandelier when your watching TV. After all, you're unlikely to have them on while watching I guess.