1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Size?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Mr.Brookes, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Mr.Brookes

Mr.Brookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just bought a Epson TW10H (It comes tuesday YAY!) and i am in the process of making a screen. I have got a plasterboard which i am gonna skim then paint with Icestorm 6 paint (which im goin to buy later today :D) The wall i am projecting onto has a width of 1810mm (71.2"). I was wondering how to calculate the correct size that my board should be to project a 16:9 image onto? I want the screen to fit my wall length ways and i also would like to allow for a black border too!

Any help would be great

Mr.B

2. Mr.Brookes

Mr.Brookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  3. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hey Mr brookes

Thats a good link, I approached my screen size in a different way,

1 placed the projector (TW10, of course!) in the place i wanted it, (behind bed!)
    2 turned on projector and set to biggest size that would fit on to wall (inbetween top of radiator and picture rail)
    3 made marks with pencil on the wall round the image
    4 turned off projector, turned on lights and masked up the area, and painted away.(its easier to paint than to make a screen i know, but to get the dims...)

Probably not the best approach however i have a screen size that fits the space perfectly.

Cheers

4. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Also, I have just painted my screen in Ice Storm 5/6 mix and it has improved picture no end, although when i saw the colour on the screen it looked far too dark, screen was white before and just to feel really great about the change it cost under £4 as I only brought 2xtester pots!

Nice

Bet you cant wait for tuesday!!!!

5. Mr.Brookes

Mr.Brookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Too right! Just bought a mount from Ebay for it so i can hook my gear up to it right away! Whats the picture quality like on the TW10H? Ive read really good reviews and the spec seems spot on for the price! Just wondering what people think of it? How much did you pay for it btw?

Mr.B

6. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    One day to go!!! TBH the pic quality when I first hooked it up was impressive, however after a week of watching i thought there must be more I can do, as the blacks and picture were a little washed out, but I know i still have areas to improve on which are

1 Having a limited DVD player - Sony Dv550 (or500?) the player has limited connectivity and no picture tweaks, sounds ok
    2 My screen was painted in silk white paint! not the best however that thats all i had
    3 Using a lot of keystoning on the picture

So far I have tried to address two issues by re-painting the wall / screen with Icestorm 5/6 mix results are fantastic - will send pics to prove if interested, and positioned the Projector better (using less keystone correction) Both have added so much

To sum it up I am very impressed with the picture, and considering it cost the same as a standard 32" im blown away. If the TW 10 is this good I would love to see a high spec machine!

I paid £660 for the TW10, on a pay now worry later (only way to afford it) Seems an ok price (im happy!)

i have a review from Home cinema choice that advises of the best picture set up, if you dont have this i can send over details to you, it just tells you what the levels should be set at.

Cheers

7. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BTW, picture size is 97" on 16:9. if smaller I would imagine the picture should be even better?

8. Mr.Brookes

Mr.Brookes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Came early \o/

Yeah send me the deatils m8 that would be great! Ive only just painted my screen Icestorm 6 and i need to put a black border on it (tomorrows job)! Its got a finished picture size of 81" an im quite impressed on first impressions. The only qualm i have is the top of the picture is on a slant and im not 100% on how to even my picture out! Will playing with the keystone fix this problem?

Just realised i need to hook up some 5.1 speakers to my DVD player so i cant actually have some sound :( How would i hook up speakers to multiple devices such as my DVD Player and a SKY box/Freeview box? Any ideas?

I got mine for nearly £100 cheaper too! I paid £570 from www.theprojectordatabase.com

PM me with that stuff and if you have MSN send me over your addy an ill add you so i can pick your brains ;)

Cheers

Mr.B

9. smerkderk

smerkderk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MB , you have mail!

To even out you piccy, try one of these

Ensure the projector is square to the screen
    Raise and lower the legs on the PJ
    Doesnt sound like keystone correction? however have a try ( best to see what each button does ;) )

Cheers