Screen size when using Software DVD player????

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Messiah, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Hi all

When I feed my Sharp 10k with a sgnal from my HTPC the Windows desktop fills the whole screen perfectly and pj reports a 1280x720 signal being received.

However, when I play a DVD using Theatertek, WinDVD or PowerDVD I get black bars around the edges (about 2" all the way round) yet the pj is still saying it is receiving a 1280x720 signal. My screen resize options are 'dot by dot' and 'stretch'. When dot by dot it shows the black bars whereas if I use stretch it fills the screen but is scaling the image to 720p and pixels are skewed. Would anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Its normal for DVDs to have some 'underscan' i.e black borders, normally with a TV you don't see this because the TV is overscaned. TT and Zoomplayer let you overscan the DVD picture so that the black bars aren't visible, but be careful overscanning the overlay with Radeon graphics cards can cause bad chroma shift. Only certain combinations of overscan work without side effects.

3. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Thanks Jeff. is the overscanning in TT and ZP a simple switch or is this where you have to manually adjust the picture size using the Aspect ratio buttons?

Thanks.

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    With ZP you can simply hit the + key a few times, with TT you woud define the various aspect ratios to include some overscan. The advantage of haveing it built into the aspect ratios is that you can set and forget and can also use Avia to make sure that you aren't introduceing chroma shift.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Ok, thanks for that. One last Q, and sorry for being so dense. If I increase the horizontal and vertical size in TT using the aspect ratio size options is that just removing the overscan or is it actually scaling the image :( ?

Thanks again and much appreciated.

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It is scaling the image. However the output resolution to the projector will remain the same, the overscanned area is chopped off.