1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Drifty, Jun 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All, first time poster!

I've just started on the long road to choosing my first LCD TV. I've been reading the posts on this forum for a number of weeks now and I've decided to go back to basics.

I'm looking for a TV for the bedroom, but as a gadget freak - my heart is saying "fill the whole wall with TV :smashin: ", but my head is reminding me that it's not the best thing to do! :nono:

The bedroom isn't huge and from the pillow to the wall where the TV will hang it's about 10 to 11 feet.

I'm only going to run it with a digital tuner/freeview to begin with and will prob upgrade to a Sky HD box as and when they become available.

So to cut a long story short....what screen size is recommended for a 10-11 feet viewing distance?

2. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the recomended size for 10-11 feet would be 32" - 37"
    I find a large cardboard cutout made to the size of your choice of TV (not just the screen but speakers too) when stuck on the wall, will give you a feel for what to expect.

3. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Drifty,

I've looked into this for buying the right sized TV for my living room, and going by the recommendations from the AV mags you're looking at 32"-36". Any bigger than 36" at that distance and you will start to gain respective screen size, but also start to lose on image quality as the pixel's and edge effects become more noticable as the screen starts to get bigger (unless you go for High Def :D ). How big/close is too big or close for image quality depends on personel preference as well - i can't stand low image quality, and would prefer a smaller screen for my viewing difference than some else might go for, a matter of choice and taste in many respects.

Go to a showroom and try sitting 11 feet from the LCD telly of your choice (or another one of the same size for comparison) - does it look grainy? try closer and further away - what do YOUR eyes tell you they prefer?

Some people find plasma & LCD's grainier at a given distance to CRT's (particularly on terestial TV), and different technologies used can also make a difference. Thats where hi-def is really going to make the difference - at the much higher resolutions (numbers of rows and columns of pixels) you can have your cake and eat it - big huge screen AND high image quality, even failry close up. I can't afford hi-def yet tho (& broadcast/ DVD's really aren't in place yet in the UK, although the next XBOX is - and it's all coming in a big way soon...). LCD/plasma look much better with DVD's, particularly the animation movies (like the ever mentioned 'finding nemo' and similiar). I find sky and digital TV unpleasant to watch because of all the compression and digital artifacts in movment and fires, etc - reminds me of the old horrible VCD's you used to get. But, it doesn't bother some people, so try it out.

36/37" should be ok at 10-11 feet, bigger and you takes yer chances. I'm looking at a 32" CRT for around 9 feet away. If you have a quick shufty in one of the AV mags in your local store - there's usually a section describing viewing distances (i think "What <kitchen sink weekly>" does) and what to look out for.

Cheers, Mark.

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +887
    The size of the screen is likely to be rather less important than the size of the individual pixels. If you can actually see the pixel structure, you're sitting too close. If not, you're probably okay.

This means that the optimum viewing distance is only indirectly related to the size of the screen. The resolution of the screen, the resolution of the source, and the efficiency of the scaling electronics being used will all make a contribution.

The simplest way to get a handle on this is just to go down to your local branch of John Lewis (or whatever) and measure how close you can comfortably stand to screens of different sizes.

5. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the feedback guys, I've been looking at 32"s, but I think I'll try the 'cardboard cutout' option first - I don't want to freak out the missus in the bedroom

....well not with the telly anyway :devil:

6. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't forget the speakers. Are you going with out of the box TV speakers, a stereo set-up or the full 5.1 surround sound? I feed my TV/DVD through my stereo setup and it sounds V nice, but 5.1 is the ideal.

7. Dr Pete

Dr Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I view my Sharp 45" from 11 feet and its great. Good input helps. 1080i HD TV is pretty amazing although I'm not into all the shows broadcast in it (CSI, Law and Order, Desperate wenches etc. etc..), DVD looks good but upscaled slightly. I'm sure a more expensive DVD player or the PS3 will do a better job.Broadcast 580i digital TV is still very good. Analog TV: nasty!