1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size quandry - please assist!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Audionyx, Jun 5, 2003.

1. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hello all,

I am taking the plunge and buying the new Optoma H56 projector having been mightly impressed on a demo.

I have given myself a major headache deciding on the screen size. The screen will hang on a redundant chimney breast which is 5'8" wide and the distance from the projector will be 12' - 12.5'.

I have been advised to buy and OWL screen (any good?) and querries are..

Firstly, as the H56 is natively 4:3 aspect, should I get a 4:3 screen instead of a widescreen to benefit from full screen when desired?

Secondly, should I go for a 5' wide screen (which would fit neatly on the wall) or should I be greedy and go for the rather messy overhanging 6' screen? I believe screens have a black border.

I need to have a decision by tomorrow so any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks guys and gals

Darren

2. Geoffc10

Geoffc10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would go for a 16:9 screen as that is what most dvd are presented in, i have the 5ft fixed owl screen, they are very good, dont know about the electric ones, handy for a living room i suppose, but mine is in its own seperate cinema room, although my wall is 10ft long now, im still keeping my 5ft screen for a while. you need to decide for yourself how a bigger screen would look like in your living room.also, dont worry about the pj being a 4:3 chip, if you like it, go for it.getting a 16:9 true panel on a budget doesnt really seem to give you reliability.from reading posts.

3. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for responding mate.

I had a quick peek on your info page and gained extra info re the black velvet on the widescreen version!

Regards

Darren

4. MrSafety

MrSafety

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0