Screen size for my viewing distance

ufo550

120" picture, is that in 1.78:1 (16:9) or cinemascope (2.35:1)?
16:9.
Tried watching a film (Hacksaw Ridge) for a few minutes. One of the final scenes of the battlefield. Just found it mildly annoying as we turned our heads (very slightly) from side to side. We decided that 120” would be too large for us. Thanks for the suggestion @alebonau re the test set up.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
As most here will agree height is more an issue with distance to screen than width which does sound odd considering you have to move your head move with width but at my seating distance I’m comfortable with my 112” scope screen which has roughly the same width as a 120” 16:9 but I couldn’t enjoy the full 16:9 image from this close.

The important thing is discovering this prior to buying the screen.

ask4me2

The Hacksaw Ridge movie is in 2.35:1 format, isn't it?
If so that makes the 120" 16:9 into a 113" 2.35:1 screen
1621843136332.png

In my opinion, The Hacksaw Ridge is a beautiful movie, but also quite brutal and intense and often hard to watch on any screen size, so if you only checked out some shacky handheld camera scenes of the battlefield and found them mildly annoying on the 120" screen, then i guess your test method is not the best.
Can't remember if it has a lot of japanese translated subtitles, but if so that can also make the big screen a lot harder to deal with.

When it comes to the need of turning heads and eyes to watch movies, in my opinion, that is where correctly home cinema with projector setups differs from typical TV setups (or as many do today watching movies on their phone or Ipads). Home theater enthusiasts even use audio transparent screens with left/right fronts and center and height channels behind it and surround speakers on the walls and in the ceiling too and ground shaking subs to emphasize what happens on the screen and to add the feeling of being in the middle of the action.

I don't think the chaotic battle scenes from The Hacksaw Ridge movie are the best-suited test methods to try out when it comes to screen sizes, why not try some more normal life scenes from that movie or other Visually Stunning movies where bigger is better when it comes to screen size.
Here are some of my favorites.

Passengers (2016)
The Gratest Showman (2017)
The Martian (2015)
1917 (2019)
Dunkirk (2017)
La La Land (2016)
The Joker (2019)
Drive (2011)
Interstellar (2014)
Mulan (2020)
Lucy (2014)
A Star Is Born(2018)

alebonau

As most here will agree height is more an issue with distance to screen than width which does sound odd considering you have to move your head move with width but at my seating distance I’m comfortable with my 112” scope screen which has roughly the same width as a 120” 16:9 but I couldn’t enjoy the full 16:9 image from this close.

The important thing is discovering this prior to buying the screen.
distance is crucial really... from my viewing distance i wouldn't be able to handle a 120" either ...

with height the recommendation is 15 deg.... as per cedia/smpte

Vertical Viewing Angles​

The CEDIA recommendation, which is based on SMPTE guidance, is or no viewer to have an angle of greater than 15 degrees to the top or bottom of the screen. Typically this puts viewers eye’s at 1/3rd to 1/6th of screen height.

ive also seen THX suggests as much as 35 deg if looking up... ! think thats with a viewer eyes level pretty much with bottom of screen !

ufo550

Thanks for your views.

Ive got to make a decision, a 120” would be right to the edge of my walls and it would sort of ‘clash’ with my fuse board cover. So I think a 110” screen would be a better fit both psychically and aesthetically. Time will tell.
2CAC0C4F-1379-4C89-AA13-7547DDA75D06.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom