Screen size for my viewing distance

kbfern

Distinguished Member

Pulse1

Next question, which make. I think my screen is something I might alter in the future, once I’ve settled into the room. Plus I need to throttle back on my spending!

So I’m not going to spend a lot on a screen. Seen a few members have got a Spitfire screen, thoughts on This
If you go with the Spitfire or Grandview AT screens then your speakers will need to be at least 12" behind them as they are Perforated. Also they use springs to hold the material in place. I have a Sapphire AT Woven Fixed Frame 16/9 screen with Acoustic Black Backing and due to the fact it's a woven screen you can have the speakers 1" to 2" behind it. The Sapphire screens are a good price and come in all different sizes etc and are based in the UK. The Sapphire screens use steel rods that you pull over fixings so it's a tighter fit and completely flat. They also provide their screens with a 3yr Warranty. I ordered mine over the phone with them and asked them to include the black backing as i don't think it comes as standard? The whole process was smooth and i'm totally happy with my screen. Sapphire fixed frame projector screens
Brian

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Can you provide a link to a fixed at that sort of price as the ones I found were for a lot more than that. :smashin:

linnasak

Did a deal with anders Kern in UK and prices flex with exchange rates but normal prices in April 2020 was:

Luxus Wallscreen Deluxe 2.35:1

WSDQ120SST13G4EZX Diagonal 120 inch £1515.00

WSDQ130SST13G4NZX Diagonal 130 inch £1585.00

WSDQ140SST13G4EZX Diagonal 140 inch £1690.00

Carriage to UK Mainland £95.00

Prices subject to VAT
Lead times approx. 2-4 weeks

£95 carriage is optimistic post COVID I would budget £500 and have some upside

These were for studiotec 130 g4

BTW Image is mega!

Kevin

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the links :thumbsup:

Lucky Nike

Novice Member
If your room is 217 cm wide, than with Screen Size Calculator you are basically seto to screen no bigger than 98" include screen frame.

For view distance 3.1 meter you will have View Angle 37.4° which is superb, if you play games or you are watching TV - for 16:9 screen size. View angle 36-40° does really good job. I have tried bigger and smaller screens in 16:9 but 40° is on the edge and everything bigger starts to be pain in long run as you start to move with your head and you start to loose control over what is happening on the screen when some action occure. Viewing Distance Calculator - Metric

If you have it for movies and not tv, than you should get wider screen. Than is recommended 50° if you have 2.35:1. Nevertheless due your room wide size, you are set to max 98" include frame but still you can check out Visual TV Size Comparison : 122 inch 2:35x1 display vs 98 inch 16x9 display -- you will need 285cm wide room to fit for 2.35:1 scope - that would be just fine.

Basically there is really good rule - height of the screen x 2.5 and you should get how far your eyes should be away from screen. It works perfect for me.

GL

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I think you may have missed the fact that his room is not 217cm (as originally stated), it is now 277 cm as he made a mistake with the original measurement but since corrected it so can go bigger if he wants as we have been advising.:)

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Did a deal with anders Kern in UK and prices flex with exchange rates but normal prices in April 2020 was:

£95 carriage is optimistic post COVID I would budget £500 and have some upside

These were for studiotec 130 g4

BTW Image is mega!

Kevin

Have none of you considered the Custom cost involved on top of the actual purchase and shipping. :facepalm:

Custom fees are based on UK retail prices not US prices.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

Luminated67

Distinguished Member

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I'm not arguing luminated just posting the rates, there maybe even more costs, it's not me recommending a stewart screen. There's no way I would spend that sort of money on a screen.

linnasak

I rationalised that the Stewart screen would last at least 2 projectors. Hence divide the cost by 2. So added c. £1000 to the projector cost. Also I would say the leap in quality when I changed to the first screen was huge. I suggest you read the review and try and see a demo. Then decide!

ufo550

I see that woven screens appear to have the edge over perforated ones, and Im concerned about speaker distance behind a screen; I hadn’t planned for any gap as such.

Looks like Saturday is going to be a wash out for me and wood working outside, to finish off my mdf boxing. So I can spend sometime researching screens instead.

I want to get a screen soonest, so I can that end installed and sort out the blind/curtains to cover the screen.

I’ll post some screens up. Thanks all for you thoughts.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I see that woven screens appear to have the edge over perforated ones, and Im concerned about speaker distance behind a screen; I hadn’t planned for any gap as such.

Looks like Saturday is going to be a wash out for me and wood working outside, to finish off my mdf boxing. So I can spend sometime researching screens instead.

I want to get a screen soonest, so I can that end installed and sort out the blind/curtains to cover the screen.

I’ll post some screens up. Thanks all for you thoughts.
The distance greatly depends of how dark the wall behind the screen.

ufo550

I emailed Seymour about their screens & speaker distance, and got a swift responce;

For optimal sound transmission a gap of 2'' or greater from speaker to back of screen material is recommended. However, we have plenty of customers that have a speaker distance of 1/8''-1/2''.

Pulse1

Grandview perforated Grandview

Sapphire woven Sapphire

Celexon woven Celexon

Not sure what these are Elite

Not posting for particular comments, just saving the link so I can peruse later.
With Celexon you will have import duties as these screens come from Germany and they may have a centre support bar as these screens have a thin frame. You may have a waiting time of a few weeks also? The Elite screens you linked to isn't Acoustic material i don't think? Although Elite do do Acoustic screens but they will have import fees as well unless you find stock in the UK as i think they also come from Germany?

Brian

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I believe perforated screens have an advantage in image quality but a slight drop off in higher frequencies compared to woven screen material. That said the only screen I have ever seen in a commercial cinema has been perforated so sound must not be that big an issue. The other advantage for perforated is you can get white or grey material to improve contrast and viewing with some lights on.

I know you say you are keen to get a screen quickly but if you went the DIY fixed frame route you could buy the perforated material direct from Carl’s Place in either colour for a fraction of the price of a branded one.

alebonau

IF this is going to be a true dedicated room with garage conversion then thats happening... i dont see point of a grey screen. you loose gain enough with AT screens let alone making them grey and loosing more gain.

re the perforated vs woven. i do beleive Stewart go for their diamond pattern punched perforated screen. i have seen this used to absolute stunning effect...but yes each screen has their specific requirements...eg with AT screens you need a minimum viewing distance to be careful also off :)

if going the DIY AT screen well worth considering seymour screens in the us... will sell you the material... you do rest, heaps and heaps of screens and all made to order in the us ... no cheapo chinese screens here

many folk i know(and we are miles away from the us) gone this way DIY and worthy of consideration if going this path...

Last edited:

ufo550

I probably won't go down the diy route, unless lead time is going to be an issue. I just want something off the shelf as it were. I've been on this project since last August, every weekend. Her indoors is starting to get a bit peeved!

Opinions on these two?

Or this

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I see you are going with 16:9 screens, what are you going to be mainly viewing with the pj?

Movies: if so what type as most big titles and the better movies have scope 2.35:1 ratio's, comedy/low budget movies tend to be 16:9.

Gaming/TV/and streaming mainly 16:9

With a 16:9 screen you will waste a lot of screen real estate watching 2:35 movies as you will end up with big top and bottom black bars.

With a 2.35 scope screen you will use the full screen with scope movies and have black vertical L&R bars with 16:9 material.

Most folks who have a dedicated room will have a scope screen or at least a screen with masking for variable aspect ratio's.

I went half way with my home made screen with a 2.0:1 originally for CIH (constant image height) but after a year or two made a removable bottom mask so I could see scope movies without any black bars showing.

I did this as black bars on a movie screen are never truly black but tend to be various shades of dark grey dependent on the projector you use. JVC are the kings of black but even with JVC are still not truly black.

Now I have my black mask made from a 10" deep x full length of the screen covered in black Devore it made a huge difference when watching movies.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe confirms return to luxury TV market
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Elipson adds Music Centre Connect HD to Connected range
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for October 2021