Screen size for my viewing distance

ufo550

I’m at the point where I need to purchase my AT fixed frame screen. I’ve researched this before and I was going to get a 100” diagonal one. I think I’ve asked the question before, but now I need to be certain.

My viewing position is approximately 314cm, and the room is 217cm wide. I’ve bought my av gear, the projector is a sony vpl-vw590es, my dealer recommended a 92” screen. I’ve tried a couple viewing distance calculators and they seem to back up that size.

However, when I’ve researched a few threads here, it seems things can be more subjective, with some suggesting a larger size. I’ll be mostly watching films and F1 in ultra Hd, and let the projector upscale Hd stuff.

Thoughts please.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Sure you can go bigger, I have a 100"+ screen and view from about 8-9ft and with 1080p is perfectly fine and a 4k image would look even better.

Your problem though is going to be the width of the room as it's only 217cm wide and that is probably not going to enable you to go much bigger than the 92".

So if you can't get a screen any bigger just move the viewing position nearer the screen and the image will look bigger.

alebonau

I’m at the point where I need to purchase my AT fixed frame screen. I’ve researched this before and I was going to get a 100” diagonal one. I think I’ve asked the question before, but now I need to be certain.
see of this is down to personal preference..
depends on kind of immersion you want...

My viewing position is approximately 314cm, and the room is 217cm wide. I’ve bought my av gear, the projector is a sony vpl-vw590es, my dealer recommended a 92” screen. I’ve tried a couple viewing distance calculators and they seem to back up that size.

unfortunately a 100" screen even just the viewing area you are looking at 221.4cm wide so wont fit in your room... this leaves a 92" screen and understand why dealer suggests this... as 92" has screen width of 2037 and allowing a little bit either side of the screen material for masking and baffle wall surrounds etc...

for a 92" screen i would be going with THX spec immersion which puts you at 2.8m ... you are close with 3.14m ...but if you can even slide your viewing position that 2-300mm forward to 2.8m
you will be amazed the difference that sort of distance makes... not only immersion but resolving power...

you will fully resolve 1080p no question at either those distances from screen and with that screen size but also you will just be able to resolve more beyond 2k with sitting that bit closer...

I’ve bought my av gear, the projector is a sony vpl-vw590es, my dealer recommended a 92” screen. I’ve tried a couple viewing distance calculators and they seem to back up that size.

while going tad smaller with the 92" what you will benefit from is more up sleeve with HDR... and this is useful with AT screens which are usually lower gain. the 590 es will do a wonder full job there at that screen size as well with easily hitting 30FL for HDR and leaving some in spare as lamp ages...

However, when I’ve researched a few threads here, it seems things can be more subjective, with some suggesting a larger size. I’ll be mostly watching films and F1 in ultra Hd, and let the projector upscale Hd stuff.

it is subjective and down to preference ... if you already have the projector you can rig up a bedsheet or projector onto a blank wall and see what you think...but either way i think will be pretty pleased !

ufo550

see of this is down to personal preference..
depends on kind of immersion you want...

unfortunately a 100" screen even just the viewing area you are looking at 221.4cm wide so wont fit in your room... this leaves a 92" screen and understand why dealer suggests this... as 92" has screen width of 2037 and allowing a little bit either side of the screen material for masking and baffle wall surrounds etc...

for a 92" screen i would be going with THX spec immersion which puts you at 2.8m ... you are close with 3.14m ...but if you can even slide your viewing position that 2-300mm forward to 2.8m
you will be amazed the difference that sort of distance makes... not only immersion but resolving power...

you will fully resolve 1080p no question at either those distances from screen and with that screen size but also you will just be able to resolve more beyond 2k with sitting that bit closer...

while going tad smaller with the 92" what you will benefit from is more up sleeve with HDR... and this is useful with AT screens which are usually lower gain. the 590 es will do a wonder full job there at that screen size as well with easily hitting 30FL for HDR and leaving some in spare as lamp ages...

it is subjective and down to preference ... if you already have the projector you can rig up a bedsheet or projector onto a blank wall and see what you think...but either way i think will be pretty pleased !
Thanks for your advice. Made a mistake with room width, meant 277cm.

But I think what you are saying is the 92" around would be better for me?

I could do what you suggest and project onto blank wall, but I need to finish off my perimeter coffer, etc, so want to get the screen ordered. The screen is going to be masked by blinds or curtains when not in use. The tracks for that also need ordering.

Last edited:

kbfern

Distinguished Member
If you have a room width of 277cm you can certainly go up in size as long as you have enough throw (distance from screen to front of projector lens) if you have enough zoom available I would look at a 100-120" screen myself.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your advice. Made a mistake with room width, meant 277cm.

But I think what you are saying is the 92" around would be better for me?

I could do what you suggest and project onto blank wall, but I need to finish off my perimeter coffer, etc, so want to get the screen ordered. The screen is going to be masked by blinds or curtains when not in use. The tracks for that also need ordering.
If you have the width it would be silly not to use it but personally I would check what throw distance your Sony requires to delivery a 110” screen and then just project on to the blank wall and sit at your current position to see how it looks. Projecting on to the wall means you can easily adjust the screen size right down to 92” or up to 110” and see what looks right to you.

Is the screen an acoustic one with the speakers behind the screen or a regular screen with centre speaker below the screen and left/right each side of the screen?

ufo550

It needs to be an AT screen. Sony says the projector distance for the 590, for a 100” screen is 300-600cm approx. My projection placement is 390cm approx.

Dealer said larger than 92”, might have me moving head side to side, which is what concerns me.

Last edited:

mb3195

Distinguished Member
It needs to be an AT screen. Sony says the projector distance for the 590, for a 100” screen is 300-600cm approx. My projection placement is 390cm approx.

Dealer said larger than 92”, might have me head side to side, which is what concerns me.
My screen is 270cm wide, I sit 280cm away.

if I could go bigger, I would, I’d love to go to around 290cm wide but room width and throw won’t allow for this.

No one who has sat in my room has thought I was too close or the screen is too big.

go as big as you possibly can.

ufo550

Next question, which make. I think my screen is something I might alter in the future, once I’ve settled into the room. Plus I need to throttle back on my spending!

So I’m not going to spend a lot on a screen. Seen a few members have got a Spitfire screen, thoughts on This

ufo550

Another question. Mounting positions of screen. I understand with tv’s, the centre of the screen, should be at seated eye height generally.

That would seem a bit silly with a projector screen. What sort of height do you have yours chaps?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Another question. Mounting positions of screen. I understand with tv’s, the centre of the screen, should be at seated eye height generally.

That would seem a bit silly with a projector screen. What sort of height do you have yours chaps?
Normally eye height is 1/3 the way up a projector screen.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Next question, which make. I think my screen is something I might alter in the future, once I’ve settled into the room. Plus I need to throttle back on my spending!

So I’m not going to spend a lot on a screen. Seen a few members have got a Spitfire screen, thoughts on This
One of the most important thing about an acoustic screen is to make sure everything behind it is black otherwise you have a chance of not only seeing the support bars but the speakers themselves.

I have no experience of this brand so hopefully others can chime in with their thoughts.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
@ufo550 I see you are building your own theatre room so you should easily be capable of building your own screen to a custom size if you want.

This should cost much less than buying a commercial grade one and especially if you may change it at some stage you won't loose that much money.

There are a few threads on the forum how to do this I will see if I can find one. The material often used for this is filmex and Jag at Epic home cinema was a supplier.

The filmex will cost around £120, it was about £20 per meter and two layers required so for a 3m wide screen you would need 6 mtrs.You would then build a frame to put it on this could be wood or perhaps aluminium so that could cost from £30-40 if you were using wood.

So for under £200 you could have an AT screen up to 3m wide, I have seen at least 3-4 screen that use filmex and they are perfectly good enough and really should be as good as a pro screen that will cost considerably more.
@Jag of the Bailey is worth contacting if you can't contact him on his website. He is still in a/v as far as I know but is a lawman in his day job as his member sig shows and he is one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. I am sure he will give you some advice on how to build the screen if you need it.

I built my own fixed screen from an 8ft x 4ft sheet of mdf probably 10 years ago now, 106" diag painted grey and it's still in use today and it cost me less than £60 and took an afternoon to do it. It's not an AT screen though.

kbfern

Distinguished Member

linnasak

screens make a big difference on image quality. What you could do is get some swatches then project on them to see impact. Personally I went for cheap 2.35 Amazon screen for £200 to get head round 2.35 or 16:9. Then put some swatches from screen research and Stewart to see difference. Then ordered tab tensioned Stewart 100inch 2.35. Now needed stiff drink on price but didn’t regret. Now last year decided to turn dedicated room into bat cave and put fixed 120inch 2.35 in it. Half price of tab tensioned!
sit c. 4.5m from 120 inch. Sit 12ft from 100inch. Seem optimal to me both using Sony 760, so similar to your projector.

my suggestion order cheap to confirm size then get a good one when you have decided on size . Btw Stewart will do bespoke sizes for small premium.

good luck

Kevin

kbfern

Distinguished Member
Stewart are indeed good screens but cost an arm and a leg, last time I looked a decent size screen was like £4k:eek:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
@ufo550 I know this brand will be more expensive than the one you are currently looking at but the quality far exceeds to asking price so you wouldn't need to look else where for a replacement in a few years time.

Get in touch with @Rickyj at Kalibrate and ask about their Diverse Screens brand, they are all bespoke so can be made to any size not only the common ones, for example I have a fixed frame from him which is 112" because that's what I could fit in my room.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
That stewart screen you link to is $3500 or well over £4k if you got it shipped here. If you just bought the material only and built your own from it would be $2200 probably around £2500.

So if you want the best be prepared to pay the price.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
^And I question whether the untrained eye would know it's image was that much different to look.

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I don't think Diverse screens are AT though?

kbfern

Distinguished Member
On Rick's site the diverse screens shown are not AT but as you say worth asking whether they do an AT range.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on UK streaming services for June 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Austrian Audio launches Hi-X65 headphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Roku expands streaming content with Roku Originals
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for June 2021