Screen size for AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SanPedro, Oct 20, 2003.

1. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    I have an AE100 currently throwing onto a 6ft wide blackout blind. After going to the AV show in Manchester, where they had some much bigger screens with the PJs on show, I am now looking at an upgrade.

How big would be ok?

My room is 24 x 13. I sit about 16 ft back from the screen. Would an 8ft screen be ok from this distance or will I get too much screendoor at this size and with this PJ? I have it running through a ProV.

Help appreciated

Chris

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    At 16ft seating distance, 8'wide is probably do-able, but you're at the limt as far as screendoor/brighness/picture quality is concerned, imo.

You could try 7/7.5 ft, you'd probably be happier with the picture quality at that size......... Try it out at any size you want, really - /me GRRRRs, 16 ft seating distance.......... Grrrr.../

All the best,

Sean G.

3. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    I reckon that you could get away with a nice 8 foot screen in a 16 foot room. IIRC the general rule of thmb is 1.5 - 2 x the screen width for the ideal distance, hence 8 foot being cock on.

However, its debatable as to if the AE100 can still look great at that size although your Pro-v will help it.

Why not Keep it on minimum zoom and simply move the PJ further back ?

Could you not project onto a wall or blanket as a test, maybe even a piece of material ?

Hope this helps a little.

Cap:)

4. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry if this is a hijack of sorts, but I was going to go for an 80 by 45 screen size, from an eight foot viewing distance - is this too big? (Also an AE100)

Majik

5. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Just been thinking that capn. Would the best quality come from placing the PJ as close to the screen as poss, or as far away? I would have thought that placing it as close as poss as the light has less distance to travel and would therefor be brighter. I guess I'll zoom out as far as I can from my current position to see how it looks. Simple enough I guess:D

It was sat watching the HS20 with Matrix Reloaded that got me thinking "Size DOES matter". It really was like being at the cinema.

Sean: you could always knock a hole from your viewing room and build an extension ;)

Chris

6. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Sorry Majik, but i think the answer is "no chance". At my last house my AE100 was 12ft from the screen and the max it would output was 6ft (and a bit) from that distance.

Chris

7. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I did a similar test yesterday, I sat my projector width wise accross my lounge, so at 11ft I managed a 7.75ft pic and it looked great against a magnolia wall!

I am looking to buy a 92" Draper Luma screen so that I can fit an image of between 7-7.5ft accross, I think based on the result of what I said at the top of this post that the image will be bright enough and of good quality.

Can I aska question...what is a Pro V and how much are they? If it will increase image quality I would be happy to consider it!

Cheers

Tony

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    Tony

They are about £100. A number of places sell them under differnt names. It scales up the resolution to 1024 x 768 (XGA is iT?) and de-interlaces the signal. It also seems to smooth the screendoor effect. Plus it has more colour control options than the AE100 by itself. Look on here for threads on ProV.

I got it because SKY looked crap on my PJ. Sean G (theritz) recommended it to me. I was gobsmacked at the difference when set up properly. It also improved DVD images as I only had Svideo from my Samsung machine. Plus you will only have one lead going to your PJ.

It's well worth the money IMO.

Chris

9. Majik

Majik
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cheers Chris - appreciate that. Looking smaller then, hmm...

I'll nick the one from work and temp it up to make some decisions....

Majik