1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size dilemma

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rickyboy, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Rickyboy

Rickyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody - a new boy here very impressed by the level of expertise shown on here.

After long and deep thought I've finally -well almost - decided that the telly to replace my ageing Toshiba 24" 4:3 set will be CRT not plasma. I think I've even chosen a Toshiba PF3 as it looks most elegant from the front and seems to be a pretty good set. However I'm now worried about screen size.

We've changed our room around and the telly now sits at one end of a 13' room. We have 2 sofas set at right angles to each other. One is directly opposite the TV and people will be sitting about 11' away from the telly. The other sofa is at a right angle to the telly -this is getting like a school geometry puzzle. That means people sitting on it will be sitting from about 9' to about 3' from the TV. I realise this is far from ideal but "she who must be obeyed" has decreed that this is our room layout and we're sticking to it.

I would imagine that for the people at the far end of the room a 36" screen would be best. That may not be the case for those sitting closer. Does anyone have any ideas as to whether a smaller screen is advisable given the proximity of some of the viewers. Unfortunately shifting the room around is not an option. Is there an ideal compromise?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    GO with what you want!!!

i.e. if you had a 36", then you can sit as far/close as you want... stuff everyone else.. ;)

Seriously.. I have a 51" RPTV, with an armchair right next to it, so the person is sat almost 180 Degrees to the screen, so can only get a slim side on view.. but I don't care, when we have guests, if they are demoing the set, I just sit them in the 'best seats'.. the women normally sit everywhere else, since they tend not to appreciate the nuances of picture quality.. :)

3. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get a 36" :) I came from a TV the size of a postage stamp and went for 36" as i didn't want to end up replacing it when we move.TBH 36" ISN'T that big!

4. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    True, but be aware that a 36" CRT is VERY heavy! :devil:

Rickyboy,

The "rule of thumb" for viewing distance is generally accepted as being six times the picture height.

However, as mentioned earlier, this is very subjective and only you will know what feels comfortable.

Assuming you live in a street of similar properties, do you have a neighbour with a 36" TV, so that you could go round to their place and experiment?

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Are we still on-topic?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm going against all the other advice. Don't get a large screen - 32" will be more than adequate. It will give something approaching the same size of 4:3 picture as you have now will all the benefits of wide screen when you want it. If you buy a bigger screen then after a while it will not seem so big to you (but it will frighten visitors when they enter your lounge) 36" will dominate the room. We have the PF3 32zp48. Excellent to look at, easy to use, built in surround sound decoder. I know I'll get howled down but that's my opinion. regards, yt

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    36" IS a big set and certainly visitors will say "my,what a big one :p " but hey,when it looks this good who cares??

[​IMG]

8. LicensedTaximan

LicensedTaximan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +498
    At the momement I have a 33inch 4:3 Mitsubishi tv and my neighbour has got the original 36inch widescreen Tosh picture frame tv. We both have the same size through lounge's, 28 odd feet long by approx 15 feet wide and it looks ok to me. :thumbsup:

The only problem is that my wife dosn't agree. :thumbsdow But then she wasn't keen on the 33 inch 4:3 set originally, and bless her cotton socks she is used to it now, :) so when I eventually replace the Mitsu i'm sure she will be ok....I hope. :rolleyes: