1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size difference between 32" CRT and Plasma is huge

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Bonzaimaster, Sep 25, 2002.

1. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the market for a 32" screen. The only sensible location in my room is a corner so I have been ignoring Plasma screens. However, I went to JL Oxford St. and they had the new Sony 32" Plasma (KZ-32TS1). I asked them for a tape and measured the diagonals on the Sony Plasma and the Philips 32PW9617 and was surprised to find that there was around a 15cm difference.

I know that there is a difference between visible and quoted sizes on CRT's but I did not expect the difference to be so much.

Anyone else surprised?

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Sorry? Which one is bigger, the plasma or the CRT?

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    The 'inch' size of all CRTs is overstated and always has been. A 32 inch CRT will have a usable (visible) diagonal of somewhere between 29 and 30 inches. The other 'inches' are part of the CRT which is unusable and hidden behind the screen surround. The more accurate measure is the 'V' measure (usually metric eg 76cmV) where the V stands for 'visible'.

The 'inch' size of Plasma and LCD screens is all usable and always has been; a 32 inch plasma will have a 32 inch visible diagonal.

4. Bonzaimaster

Bonzaimaster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Plasma is bigger. I believe the Plasma sizes are quoted as the actual visible size the CRT's as the tube size.

I think it's a scandal. Especially considering that different 32" CRT's can even differ in size.