Quantcast

Screen size, CIH and IMAX in a home cinema

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
There are a lot of different views on the ideal screen size to have in a dedicated home cinema. Opinions are influenced by many things, including:

Source resolution
Personal preference
Perceived personal preference (your favourite seats at the local cinema may be affected by the vertical viewing angle, and not just the horizontal angle)
Different recommendations from standards such as SMPTE, THX, FOX, which will also have been affected by source resolution, and cinema layout.

One thing that has found more common ground in the home theatre is the notion of a Constant Height Screen, such that 16:9 films are large, and Scope films keep the height but also get wider and more epic, as was the original intention of the film maker.

If the intention of a CinemaScope picture was to be epic, where does IMAX fit into this, in a home setting? Does it make sense to keep the width of a Scope screen, and just add more height, making your epic movie even more epicer? This would have the unitended consequence of making your scope format films suddenly less epic, which is the opposite of what the filmmaker intended.

Please discuss :)

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I have had both CH and CW.

I recently changed back to CW as the screen size width never actually gets smaller, whereas the other way round it does.

CW will give you the biggest image overall.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I have had both CH and CW.

I recently changed back to CW as the screen size width never actually gets smaller, whereas the other way round it does.

CW will give you the biggest image overall.
I thought you increased the height purely for IMAX productions. Are you watching your 16:9 material at full width then?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
I thought you increased the height purely for IMAX productions. Are you watching your 16:9 material at full width then?
films yes, certain TV programs I will probably scale it down to fit the 2.37 screen with black bars left and right.

mb3195

Distinguished Member
It’s simply because image quality isn’t an issue regardless how big I go. I thought when I got my CinemaScope screen that I may struggle to get the height in properly, but it turns out that it isn’t an issue