Screen size and border placement?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by hhlodge, Aug 20, 2004.

1. hhlodge

hhlodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie here. I am going to make my own screen for home theatre with an NEC LT155 as the projector. Given that I can only mount the projector within a small ceiling area because of the room size and layout, I suspect the screen size should be based on what the projector displays on the wall, which is 85"x39" approxiamately from an initial screening with 'A Bug's Life' in widescreen mode. Should I get the projector permanently mounted and then determine the exact screen size from this? Should the border be just outside the edge of the image or straddle it? Finally, can I safely assume that all 16:9 movies will fall into this same border area? I can't imagine they differ or no border would be 100% correct. Thank you.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,474
    Movies in 16:9 ratio will be fine yes, but you have other screen ratio's than that :eek:
    1:33 standard square TV set.
    1:85 which is a popular aspect ratio for many movies which is also slightly wider than 16:9 which is roughly 1:78.
    2:35 widescreen, films such as LOTR which will project an image much narrower in height than your screen so you will end up with dark grey bars inside your black borders.

So you are right that no fixed border will be 100% correct for all films, the answer is to have adjustable borders, alternatively live with the differences.

3. hhlodge

hhlodge
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. Not sure how one has adjustable borders with tape, so am I better off just going border-less?