1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen size advice needed

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Messiah, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well, got my AE100 from AV-Sales on Tuesday. Only problem is it throws an image way too big for the screen when sat on the dedicated pj shelf at the back of the room. It would be almost impossible for me to mount it part way along the ceiling so it is with regret that it goes up for sale with just 1 (one) hour on the timer. :(

My question is I need a projector which will project an image of

84" horizontal
    96" diagonal

from a distance of 173" (14.4 ft).

Can anyone advise which pj may give this size image at that distance. Ideally it will be a 16:9 model either SVGA or XGA.

Any advice is desperatly needed.

Thanks.

Neil

2. GearHead

GearHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bummer !!

The original LT150 had a fairly long throw lens and somebody was selling one here recently for little more than the cost of the Panny. It doesn't have a zoom though, so if the position of the projector is fixed you'll just have to accept whatever image size that gives you.

BTW, I've just checked the table of throw distances in the Epson TW100 manual and the nearest figures I could find was an image size for a distance of 14.1ft - the smallest image size at that distance would be 100" diagonal. A bit outside of your requirements.

What about using the Unicol close-ceiling bracket which has a quick release mechanism. You could have the projector angled down slightly and use keystone correction (which in itself will reduce image size). When not in use the projector can be released and put some where safe and the fixed part of the bracket will only drop down from the ceiling about 3 inches max. Used with keystone I reckon you'll only need to bring the projector forward about a foot or so.

Allan

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get a bigger screen, or project onto a wall? (if possible) 84 inches is on the small side anyway.

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    84 inches is on the small side anyway
    Bet your wifes a happy lady;)
    84 inches is seven feet, and the diagonal closer to 8 feet.
    Whats your price range - I have an HT300 that would project an image of the correct size from 14 feet. A tad more expensive than the AE100 though.

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I expect to get ridiculed for this idea but here goes.

Why not change your DVD players setting from 16:9 to 4:3 letterboxed. This should reduce the size of the image enough, at least until you find a better solution.

Obviously it will only work with DVDs:)

6. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Sony VPL-VW11HT at 14.4 distance would give you 81.5 to 98.4 in width screen

2) The Epson TW100 has a 1:1.35 zoom lense so I think that should be ok too, although I would check with Epson first.

If your hooked up to a PC with your home cinema kit then you could use ZoomPlayer and shrink the picture !

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339

Thanks for all the replies guys. As to using a bigger screen/wall, I have just bought a 7ft electric screen with the unit so changing that would mean more loss/expense. Also, the bigger you go with the image the more noticeable the screen door (especially with an 800x600 pj) and more brightness loss.

Like the VW11 but physically too big.

Love the TW100 (comprehensive demo last week at Shockabuku's shoot out) but it projects the same size image as the AE100.

As to Zoomplayer or using 4:3 wouldn't that just use less pixels so would degrade the quality?

Still hoping :)

8. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,677
    Messiah,

if your selling the Panny - how much to take it off your hands ?

9. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    You got PM.

Neil

10. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    I think the VW11 calculations are incorrect on the PC site. Still looking.

11. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Messiah
    What was the screen size when you were usings your panny from 14.4ft? As this is the distance that I intended to have mine at.
    And how was the picture?

Thanks
    Samir

12. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Didn't actually measure it but reckon it was >8ft horizontal. Picture quality was a bit suspect also. Would certainly not recommend it.

If I can sell mine I'll look for another pj or have to ceiling mount otherwise (really don't wanna do that).

13. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,677
  14. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Well. I've ordered the Gyrolock Close Ceiling Mount so at least I can look at it and see if it would not look too out of place on the ceiling. For £100 it will always add to the saleability of the pj if it doesn't work out. :confused: