1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen side by side comparisons?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kwagger, Apr 27, 2005.

1. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hiya,

Im currently struggling with a choice of screen for my projector (ae300).

For the last two years ive been happy with a home made blackout cloth fixed screen. However, weve moved to a new house, and now i need a retractable screen.

There's no way of me getting a look at a screen pre-purchase, but on the basis of cost and comments here, Ive narrowed it down to : saphire, drh or beamax, and dependent on brand, I may get an electric, or manual.

Clearly the saphire screens are significantly cheaper (less expensive), which looks :smashin: , but has anyone been able to compare the quality of materials, and PQ between these screen fabrics?

I would appreciate any comments you might have.

K

2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Hi Kwagger, sorry to jump in on your thread but I'm about to buy a projector and I'm debating on whether to buy a roll down blackout screen from ikea for £20 or get a proper screen.
    What was the picture like using blackout fabric?

3. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

I made a fixed screen using the what seems to be usual picture frame and stretched fabric technique.

I was very happy with the picture, although the room in the rented flat was not ideal - (off white walls, 14ft ceilings, thin roller blinds at the windows and a streetlamp outside!).

I have been convinced by the black border increasing percieved contrast though, which is why I'm looking at a 'proper' screen rather than a white roller blind, although I'm sure that the blind would do a good job - as with all this stuff, it depends on your budget and expectations.

hope that helps

K

4. kwagger

kwagger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I couldn't wait - ordered an electric beamax through beamaxed.co.uk ex-demo - A significant discount :clap: for a small dent in the case. :nono:

(It would have got that first time it fell off the ceiling due to poor DIY anyway!!) :rotfl:

I'll let you know what its like compared to the blackout cloth.

regards

K

5. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Cheers keep us posted, post a few pics once its up as well.