1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen shots

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Taz, Dec 11, 2004.

1. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Cheers! They are great! I must say, the PSP screen looks superb! :thumbsup:

3. -Jay-

-Jay-
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Agreed i'll be getting a psp, thanks for the pics Taz. :smashin:

4. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No worries guys, its not my 'thing' but thought you all may be interested.

:)

5. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Nice pics. PSP looks awesome, definately getting one. Really is anyone going to actually buy the DS ? It looks huge and the screen is terrible. Backwards step from the Advance SP.....

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +522
    The PSP's screen looks awesome in them shots :eek:

I will probably get one of these, my main concern at the moment is the software, admitively you've got your GT and Pro Evo games, which will be superb. But nintendo know the handheld market very well, and their software is always their strong point, highly playable and inventive to boot.

So i'll watch closely other the coming months, but Sony have designed a great looking peice of kit :smashin:

7. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Surely noone above the age of 10 will buy a DS above a PSP! Why do Nintendo keep producing silly toys when they clearly have the capability to go for larger more profitable markets!??!?!?!? Maybe the bloke in charge of Nintendo was given a "Brewsters millions" senario as he seems to want to get rid of his cash asap!

I agree it is a backwards step from the SP as that looked far more stylish than this kiddies games & watch rubbish that they have churned out this time. Christ I owned 4 game & watch dual screen's and I don't find this design nostalgic at all so who knows why they have gone for it.

From now on there is only one name in the handheld market and it disturbingly marries the only real contender (sales wise) in the Console market...Sony. Talk about the midas touch lol It wouldn't surprise me if the best selling car in 10 years time was made by Sony at this rate lol

The above comment is not meant to incite any console arguments either as the only console that currently gets any play in my house is an X-Box - i'm just spouting the facts (although I personally believe that the X-Box is a better machine in every department).

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    My PSP is on it's way.. should be here Friday! Can't wait...

Andy

9. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    True, i think brand loyalty doesn't really need addressing with the PSP, it is a whole new concept in the handheld market and is innovative. I doubt the ppl who get the PSP will jst be the 'PS2 fanboys' - it will attract a whole range of gamers from other non PlayStation consoles. Most of my mates have Xboxs and they can't wait to get their hands on a PSP. However, I believe this wont apply for the DS, i reckon most of those who will buy one will certainly already have a GameBoy.

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    I would quite happily depending on the games.

Now could you keep these threads on topic, I am getting a little tired of reading the same people posting the same comments on 4 different threads. Unless you have played on both consoles (at this point there is only person on this forum who has and at least they are being objective) then I suggest you keep your comments to yourself unless you have something new to add.

This is a gaming forum for all and although you are quite entitled to your opinion there should not be a railroading of sections of the gaming population into thinking that certain peices of hardware are not worth buying.

As most of you can be quoted as saying it is the gaming that matters, then I suggest you practice what you preach and don't continually diss something you have not even seen or played with your own eyes and hands.

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Personally I dont see how that comment is off topic. Hes only expressing his opinion. This is a thread discussing the pics of the units nothing to do with the games ? As you said we are all entitled to our opinions.

12. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Well thats around 110million so i think Nintendo are onto a winner :D

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    It is merely the fact that these comments are being replicated across many threads, I have just commented on the most recent thread used.

Also, my comments are not directed all at Gthom but at all the posters (I don't think I need to name names really) that are repeating themselves.

To stay on topic it would be expected that you could say, Yes the PSP looks much better than the DS. There is no need to bring any other predictions into the topic as to how the two companies will fair, especially when that view has been made on other similar topics in the forum.

The only other alternative is that I merge all threads and then edit the posts so that the view is only expressed once, but I don't really want to do that :p

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    Sinzer, whilst I usually respect your decisions I do think that you are being a little harsh on this occasion. Yes I admit that I have not played either machine but my post isn't related to the way they play (as I am not qualified to comment there). I am simply reflecting how the image & styling of each machine will help dictate who buys them. I will probably like the DS personally as i'm a big fan of Nintendo games but I was merely saying that the PSP will appeal to a much wider (older child to adult market) in a similar way to how the PS2 does in big console world.

I apologise if I have gone off topic in other threads and i'm sure i've rectified that there and then if I have however this topic is comparing the visual nature of the two machines and as thus I felt my points were on topic.

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    If you had posted like that in the first place then I wouldn't have got up on my high horse (and it is very high this morning :p ). I have no problem with adult conversation, but I believe at the moment the whole debate over PSP and DS is getting very silly.

Please remember there are already many members of the gaming forums who have already purchased a DS and claiming that only those over 10 or only kiddies would buy it, could be taken as being insulting, seen as they are a lot older than that generation.

16. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    True, I must admit that i'd had a few beers at the time of posting the comments you mention and I perhaps got a little carried away. I stand by my points in that post but I agree I could have written them in a more tactful way. :thumbsup:

17. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Come on Sinzer its always very high ;) We know you get upset if anyone says anything bad about the Japanese console manufacturers but its a public forum and surely comments such as those made in the treads you have mentioned wont offend anyone.

We are not getting agressive or using fowl language or anything. I cant see anything nasty or inflamatory thats been said. You used to PM people in circumstances such as this previously, its a bit off to try and give people a dressing down in public in my humble opinion. We may have differences in opinion but thats whats great about forums like this.

18. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,102
    Well to be honest, they did offend me, hence why I posted what I did. Let me reiterate that I am not directing this at Gthom, but the general overtone being posted (more of the final straw syndrome). Differences in opinion are fine, but there is a growing and definate bias in the overall gaming forums to certain perspectives of gaming.

I just get an overall feeling that many people feel put off posting on the gaming forums because they feel that they will be called fanboy or kiddy gamer or told to buy a proper console.

I think it is great to have differing opinions, I do not think it is great that people may feel that the forum is biased and that their differing opinion is not respected.

Perhaps my moderation style has changed slightly, I don't usually have the time to be as diligent as I used to, but in this case I feel it is fair to have a public discussion. I apologise to Taz for bringing his topic, off-topic.

19. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,731
    To be fair I think (due to this being an AV Forum) the people on here will always favour the most technically proficient & "mature" console. As you know Sinzer, from our previous discussion, my tastes are very similar to yours in terms of the games I like. I have always been a huge fan of Sega & Nintendo amongst many other Janpanese games developers.

It is however a marketing fact that the DS (and many of Ninty's products in general) are aimed at younger gamers. I still love them and I do not feel that this makes me any less mature etc as a person, just someone who loves fun, playable games.

Yes I now own an Xbox and it is a great console (especially online) but it was the last one that I bought. As mentioned previously my quote relating to people over 10 not wanting a DS was a bit harsh but I do believe you will see the rough demographic being that younger gamers will go for the DS and older children & Adults will go for the PSP at least in preference to a DS. I personally would love both but I must admit the PSP seems the most attractive purchase out of the 2 for me.

Anyway I also apologise for taking this thread off topic and hopefully now we can revert back to discussing the initial screenshots and the styling of the two machines.

20. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    i didnt think the DS would be as big as it is and while the psp is bigger length ways the clamshell design when flipped open of the DS is quite big.thats the first time i have seen a real pic of the 2 side by side btw.

21. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    after a second look either that psp screen is massive or the DS screen is not much bigger than the sp`s.is the us release of the psp jan ?

22. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,504
    US PSP is March I believe..

23. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    damn.im sure i read it was jan:( oh well just get the uk one as im not paying lik sang prices for a import.