• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Screen Scratched - Panasonic 55VT30

AidenL

Hi all,

Major problem my brother in law has - last night, when he turned off his TV, he noticed literally hundreds of scratched on the screen, some deep enough for your fingernail to catch in when run along.

No idea how it happened, may have been one of the kids doing some 'cleaning' of her own.

Is there any possible cure, or solution? Could the glass be replaced, or is that prohibitively expensive?

They aren't visible when the TV is on , so is it a case of just leave it as it is?

Any input would be welcome, thank you :)

slc79

From what I know the glass is attached to the panel, so you need to replace it all in that case. Probably as expensive as buying a new set. There are some products designed to even out scratches from glass etc. so I suggest you contact your nearest glazier and ask for advice.

AidenL

Thanks for that :)

Korum

7 years ago my son scratched my brand new Panny PX500 with Sandpaper (He was only 18 months at the time so I didn't strangle him!), it looked bad but I had the bright idea of trying to remove the scratches with an iPod cleaning fluid I had. I didn't know that plasma's had a anti-glare coating on the screen and this made the issue 10 times worse. Anyway I claimed on my house insurance, telling them the missus had accidentally used an abrasive cleaner on it. The insurance guy who turned up said it costs so much to remove the scratches from the screen that they just write the TV off and replace it. I hope this helps as it might not be financeably viable to get the scratches removed. Like SLC pointed out its an all in one unit:thumbsup:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
AidenL said:
They aren't visible when the TV is on , so is it a case of just leave it as it is?

I would live with it then.
I couldn't bear it if they were visible when the set is on.

AidenL

Accidental damage cover might work on the house insurance - I guess it depends what value is covered......:(

Thanks for the input guys :)

Korum

Accidental damage cover might work on the house insurance - I guess it depends what value is covered......:(

Thanks for the input guys :)

Yeah, my PX500 cost me a whopping £2400 at the time and I thought it would in no way be covered as accidental damage on my policy but it was and I just had to pay a £100 excess to get a replacement, they also didn't bother to pick the damaged TV up which is still going strong in my Mum's front room.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom