1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Saver on Panasonic Plasma?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Beamer, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Does anyone know if Panasonic Plasma displays integrate a screen saver to stop screen burn when the display is accidently left on with a static image?

2. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

You can select from a total of three screen savers to minimize the risk of unven phosphor aging. The White Bar Scroll is designed for ordinary still image displays, Screen Reversal is for text screen displays, and Side Panal Adjustment is for 4:3 mode images. All three can be started up in manual mode, or they can be set to automatically start and stop at preset times in timer more or for preset periods in interval mode.

Regards
    Andrew

3. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for the info but could you elaborate at little more as it's saver operation is still not entirely clear to me. Specifically I would like to know if the display can be setup to either blank the display or run a random pattern after a preset time elapses on a still picture i.e when the picture is frozen?

4. ajb

ajb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

Don't know I am afraid. Still waiting to purchase mine. All the details I gave previously were quoted from a brochure I had.

Sorry about that
    Andrew

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Beamer

The screen saver function is not like a PC where it monitors inactivity of your mouse and keyboard.

The White Scroll bar - probably the most useful of the screen savers for your application - can be set on the D4 Charcoal model to come on at pre-set times or pre-set intervals for a pre-determined time; these pres-sets are user definable.

So you can say 'every day at this time run the White scroll bar for this length of time'.

Or you can also say 'after every hour run the White scroll bar for this length of time'.

I guess where you are worried about leaving static images on-screen then the second option would be preferable.

You can also use the timer mode to turn the panel to standby at pre- set times each day.

I don't believe the 4B Silver model offers the 'interval' timing option - someone who has one could clarify!

Regards

Joe

6. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Joe

Thanks for the confirmation of my worst fears:( Oh well I guess it's going to have to wait until Panasonic add the screen saver.

The white scroll bar seems more of a screen conditioning mode facility than a screen saver, what do you think? Either way my need is not served by current models it would seem. I was actually looking at the higher resolution 50" model but boy it could be an expensive mistake to leave a static image displayed for a few hours by error!

7. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,527
    Beamer

Sorry to disappoint you re the functioning of the screen saver modes - as you say more of a conditioning feature than the traditional screen saver we are all used to with our PC's and Mac's.

Maybe another argument for using a HTPC as your main viewing system if you are liable to leave the panel unattended for long periods.

Don't expect to see any new form of screen saver on panels for a while - I don't think Panasonic, or any others, have any plans for anything much more sophisticated than the present arrangement.

What form are these 'static' images you are worried about taking - are they from a video source?

Best regards

Joe

8. Beamer

Beamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The main problem is when my wife is programming the video recorder and get's interupted or we accidentally leave a movie paused (Sky +) I know is sound stupid but XXXX happens as we all know!

An HTPC would solve the problem but right now I'm having space problems as it is but thanks for the suggestion.