1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen save/screen wipe. Bad for lifespan?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by rudy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've a humble Hitachi 32pd5200 and was reading on another thread that using the screen save/wipe to avoid burn in can drastically reduce the lifespan of the tv.

as i have been using this function i would like to know if I should turn this off.

Thanks in advance

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I believe it can reduce the lifespan as it effectively 'burns' all the screen to the same extent which is how it gets rid of burnt in images. I'd have no problem turning it off, I've never even used it on my 5300.

John

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    It's something you use when you have to, rather than as any sort of routine. Theoretically it does shorten the life of the panel, but by how much it's hard to say. Watching a bright movie would do pretty much the same, so taking it to extreme, you need to keep your movie watching to 'LOTR' and maybe 'The Matrix'. Then your screen will last for ever and you will die of boredom. On the other hand, I'd live your life as you see fit, watch what you like, in the sure and certain knowlege your screen will eventually wear out, in about 10 odd year's time. Is that a problem?

4. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't turn it off! aaargh