• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Screen Resolutions and colour settings with Acer Aspire Revo R3610

dave77

Hi, I have my Revo connected through an Onkyo amp to a 720p/1080i Samsung and am having trouble setting the resolution on the nvidia settings. The Revo says 1360 X 768 is recommended, what would be best for my TV?

Also, does anyone have any good nvidia colour settings to use, I can't seem to get it right!

StevieBuck

1360x768 may be the native resolution of your TV - in which case it probably will be the best setting to use. You haven't told us the model of your TV though so it makes it difficult to check.

Have you configured the colour settings on the TV first - or have you went straight to the nvidia settings?

dave77

Cheers, it's a Samsung LE37R88

Have you configured the colour settings on the TV first - or have you went straight to the nvidia settings?

It's connected through an amp so the TV source is shared with Sky and PS3 and the colour settings for those are fine, so I need to change them on the PC

StevieBuck

1360x768 appears to be the maximum (native) resolution of the TV, so that should be OK.

You could try searching for LCD calibration images, then load those up to help configure the settings. I've used this site before for adjusting contrast/brightness, but it doesn't have any specific colour test patterns:

LCD monitor test images

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
You might also need to fiddle with the dynamic range / levelspace of your nVidia output (rather than leaving it to chose its own)

The Sky HD box will be outputting 16-235 (aka Video aka Studio aka Limited) levelspace, the PS3 will default to 16-235 (though can be altered).

PCs can output 0-255 (aka PC aka Full) levelspace - but this will look crushed and burned out on an HDMI display expecting 16-235 inputs - so for Blu-ray replay you should probably select 16-235 (aka Limited) output range on your PC in nVidia control panel.

For DVDs and SD and HD TV you MAY find that 16-235 looks washed out and switching to 0-255 for SD/HD TV and DVD looks right. (This is due to a "bug" or misunderstanding between Microsoft and driver manufacturers, though there are registry hacks that can fix this in some circumstances - and newer drivers may also fix it)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom