1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Resolution

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tomo1971, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all and Happy New Year :clap:

I posted recently about the Hitachi 42Pd4200 that is an exclusive to Richer Sounds. I purchased one last week.

It has a resolution of 852x480 but was told at time of purchase it was 1024x1024 as it was the same panal as the 42pd5200. Would there be any significant difference between the 2 and is it worth me trying to get it replaced by RS?

They also said it was HDTV ready as it has a DVI input but Hitachi web site says its exclusive to the connection of the AV3000E multi-media box but as the standards in HDTV arnt set in stone thats not such a big issue (or is it?)

Thanks in advance.

Steve

2. cboy

cboy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    sounds like rs had u over a barrel m8...:( i'd get my money back if u bought a hi-res display then it turns out it wasnt thats more than a good enough reason to get your money back

3. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I've had a couple of retailers make similar comments to me claiming sets are HD when they are actually SD resolution (eg the NEC42VM5).

If you press them on this, they seem to squirm and say it is 'HD compatible' ie has the connectors.

be careful with this and best of luck.

Bear in mind that - if I remember right - even the 5200 is not currently compatible with the Sky HD format...

4. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So there would be a noticable difference between 852x480 and 1024x1024 while using the screen for Telewest and DVD's?

Do RS do a 28 money back guarantee or similar?

Steve

5. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

Regarding the 28 money back guarantee it should not matter as the specification of the Plasma was misrepresented to you at the point of purchase.
    Basically one of the terms of the contract that you entered into was that it had a resolution of 1024x1024 since it does not you legally have the right to terminate the contract and demand a full refund

RON

6. buzzby

buzzby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    once again this proves that most sales people have no clue what they are talking about. Or they are making stuff up beacuse they work on commision and want you to buy.

This is why before i buy any new technology i find a forum with people that know what they are talking about.

Take it back COMPLAIN like crazy to the manager, get the sales person into some sh*t and you may get some compensation or a nice discount off of the correct plasma

7. Tomo1971

Tomo1971
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If I took it back, Any ideas what to buy with 2k? Do RS do anything good for this price (better than wat I have)

Not sure im gonna be bothered about HDTV ready as that would ideally mean HDMI and that seems expensive at the moment and limits choices.

I am happy with the Hitachi funny as that sounds, just dont like leaving the store thinking its one spec and in reality it isnt.

And ill ask again, is there any huge difference in between 1024x1024 and 852x480?

Steve

8. justy75

justy75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best BUY by far under £2K is the Tiny Focus 4200 at £1400. Have a look at this.

OH DEAR OH DEAR,

All you "know it all cynics" have missed the bargain of the year so far.

I LOVE the way people are too quick to spurt out rubbish before they know the facts.

3000:1 contrast ratio
    1000 Nit
    The LATEST (Not the oldest) Samsung Panel (As used by Sony for instance)
    Brushed aluminium front
    Includes speakers, stand, input board with tuner, remote control

Far better than the LG panelled equivalent priced stuff on the market - check out the reviews.

I bought the Sony 42" that uses the same screen as this one. A friend of mine bought the Tiny 4200 Focus - The picture quality was the same, build quality was as good also. I returned mine back to Sony within 14 days and placed an order for the Tiny. Saved £1600 as the Tiny was £1299 + 99 Delivery - BARGAIN.

The reason they can do them cheaper is because they cut out the middleman. Other than buying a LOAD of screens from Samsung and getting a good deal on them, they get shipped from china straight through to Burnley where they are built at the Tiny factory. Whereas all the other brands have to buy the screens, usually send them to an assembler in China, who send them to the Asia distributor, who sends them to the European distributor, who sends them to UK distributor, who sends them to the retailer - each one taking their cut along the way....get the drift??? We end up paying FAR TOO much....

Take the gamble - (its actually the logical choice) and you wont be dissapointed.

And a big sorry to all you cynics who were too quick to pass judgement and have now spent £1400 or more on an inferior 1000:1, lower brightness plasma. You should have gone down to your local 'The Computer Shop' and saw for yourself.

9. Likvid

Likvid
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Remember one thing when talking to sellers, they are ONLY interested in your hard earned money, they can talk **** out of their pants just to get your money, don't ever trust any salesguy, they are all the same......

They are there for a reason.

Read this forum and other forums to get a biased view of everything, then decide what you want to by and look for the cheapest place and just order the thing.