Screen resolution via Component?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by Derek S-H, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Derek S-H

Derek S-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,875
    Hope someone can help me with this.

Just gone HD with a new Blu-Ray player and HD amp. Previously, I used to connect my Wii via Component to the TV (Pioneer Kuro) and run some extension leads for the sound to the amp (Denon 3805).

Now, I've connected up all the Component leads for both picture and sound to the amp and am upscaling via HDMI from the amp to the telly.

However, I can't get a full screen picture - it's just a small square box in the middle of the screen with large black borders around it.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I've checked the amp manual (Yamaha RX-A2010) and there's nothing regarding screen resolution over Component which is then upscaled via HDMI.

Will I just have to go back to my old arrangement to get a full screen image - Component to telly and extension leads to amp for sound?

Thanks
    Derek

2. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    Have you tried just keeping the resolution the same, rather than have the receiver do any upscaling? For some reason, my Yamaha receiver really doesn't get on with the Wii component output if I ask it to do anything more than upconvert to HDMI. With upscaling switched off on the amp, it workes perfectly!

3. Derek S-H

Derek S-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,875
    Hi Sanders

Thanks for your reply. I also posted this query on the Yamaha RX-A Thread on the Amplifiers Forum, and two respondents suggested fiddling with the Wii settings or checking the online manual again to find the information I need.

As you know, the Wii's not an HD device so I think any benefits in upscaling between devices, either a telly or amp, is fairly minimal. I think I may go back to my old arrangement of Component to TV and audio leads to amp - less hassle!

Thanks
    Derek

4. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    In my setup, the Wii and my blu ray are the only video sources that goes through my receiver, so having all the upscaling switched off on the receiver is fine for me. When I first bought my receiver, I did try having it upscale the Wii image, but the result was really washed out and motion was not smooth at all, as if it was displaying only one out of every three frames!

I had some other image artefacts that I had put down to a dodgy connection or my TV (I am praying for the TV to die!) but since I discovered the well-known video chip overheating issue and got it fixed, the picture has been perfect!

5. Derek S-H

Derek S-H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,875
    Ha ha!

I don't think that I've ever read on here that someone wanted a piece of their AV equipment to die before!:laugh:

I went back to my old arrangement in the end - Component to telly for picture, stereo red and white leads to amp for sound. It may not be the "best quality" but it works and it's full screen. I did think the old image through the amp was better, but then it was shrunken down so it may have been deceptive.

Maybe when you're next on the Wii, you may "forget" to put the wrist strap on and have it "accidentally" fly out of your hand and straight through the telly? Just a thought....;)

Derek

Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  6. Sanders79

Sanders79

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,993
    I like your thinking! We bought our tv in our old house and our current living room would happily accommodate a 50" screen, next tv will be a Panasonic plasma but not for a few more years realistically. Our tv is very behind the times spec-wise.

I suspect you're right and the image through your receiver looked better because it was smaller. Realistically, you won't get a better image from your wii than component to your tv, unless you have a dedicated video processor costing big bucks.