1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen Res Problems.

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by adieboy, Aug 4, 2005.

1. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I've just installed MCE for the first time- a problem-
    At first, all aspect ratios were screwed up. Set a custom res., using power-strip (1024 x 576-native for my NEC HT1000, when operating in 16 x 9 mode).
    Trouble is, my graphics card (Radeon 9600XT) keeps reverting to some poxy low res. (480 X something), every time I boot or come out of Media Center.
    It defaulted to this even before I installed Powerstrip. Also, I have been unable to select any other resolution from the standard display properties dialogue, only through catalyst control center. Any ideas???

Adie

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    untick the 'hide modes that this monitor can't display' box in display settings->monitor - see if that helps

3. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks, Skunkpipe. Sorted now.
    I must say I'm a little disappointed with the picture quality through media center,
    I'm using the nvidia codec that comes with Theatertek 2, and the picture isn't in the same league as with plain TT2 through XP (run from the desktop) and there's some sign of shearing on fast pans. The GUI's great and the remote rally fast and responsive but the picture quality isn't what I've come to expect - I've been running TT2 under Meedio. Any suggestions?

Cheers Adie

4. northernmunki

northernmunki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The shearing may be due to 60Hz refresh rate when watching 50Hz UK PAL material. See if you can change it in your display propperties and also apply the registry hack.

What is the optimal suggested resolution for PAL?

5. adieboy

adieboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    northernmunki,
    As far as I understand it, widescreen PAL video is 625 x 1024 but only 576 of these lines carry picture data. The projector is therefore, in theory, running 1:1 pixel. Your suggestion that the problem lies with the refresh rate sounds good.
    Would it be safe to try to force 50Hz if the projector can't support it- could it damage the projector?

Adie.

6. HiZ

HiZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Probably not advised, will it manage 100Hz?