• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Screen repairs at Timpson

Alps

Prominent Member
Hi guys,

Has anyone used Timpson to repair their mobile phone screen? If so, what's your verdict on them please?

My wife's iPhone 6 has a washed out screen - colours are faded and not vibrant. This is from a dodgy screen replaced by some dodgy shop (it was a gift from her manager so can't whinge). She wants to get it replaced. Apple charge £152. Carphone warehouse £130 (but they send it to Apply anyway). And Timpson charge £100, but she'd get £10 off from a student discount.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Used them one for this. Very quick and efficient service. Good value too.

Alps

Prominent Member
Used them one for this. Very quick and efficient service. Good value too.
Thanks Greg. Was yours an iPhone screen? Could you see a difference in the quality of the screen - colours, vibrancy, whites, blacks etc?

lowmans100

Prominent Member
You will only get an original Apple screen from an Apple licensed repair centre. Non licensed repairers can only source pattern screens of varying quality.

No idea what quality screen Timpsons use. I replaced my daughters iPhone screen twice with eBay pattern screens and they were fine. The screen I got from Amazon to replace my mrs' brothers' broken iPhone 6s screen was a bit washed out but he was happy with it. For £20 - £25 for a pattern screen it's pot luck what you get on Amazon and eBay.

I read somewhere online that the larger non-licensed repairers test the quality of pattern screens and source them from specific suppliers. Apple licensed repairs also use a Horizon Machine for their screen repairs which is something non-licensed shops cannot get hold of.

I replaced my daughters Samsung S8 screen this month but managed to get a used original screen and frame so that was a good as new.

Last edited:

Alps

Prominent Member
You will only get an original Apple screen from an Apple licensed repair centre. Non licensed repairers can only source pattern screens of varying quality.

No idea what quality screen Timpsons use. I replaced my daughters iPhone screen twice with eBay pattern screens and they were fine. The screen I got from Amazon to replace my mrs' brothers' broken iPhone 6s screen was a bit washed out but he was happy with it. For £20 - £25 for a pattern screen it's pot luck what you get on Amazon and eBay.

I read somewhere online that the larger non-licensed repairers test the quality of pattern screens and source them from specific suppliers. Apple licensed repairs also use a Horizon Machine for their screen repairs which is something non-licensed shops cannot get hold of.

I replaced my daughters Samsung S8 screen this month but managed to get a used original screen and frame so that was a good as new.
Thanks lowmans100. Absolutely agree, Timpson's will use a non-Apple screen. But as they're a large well known company, I'm hoping they'd source a good screen. And also, if anything were to go wrong, they should fix it.

I'd love to have a go at fixing the screen myself, but this is a man who struggles to change a plug!!!!! :laugh:

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Thanks Greg. Was yours an iPhone screen? Could you see a difference in the quality of the screen - colours, vibrancy, whites, blacks etc?

It was an iPhone and it looked the same as before. So no issues there.

152bobby

Established Member
Surely the level of expertise and knowledge differs from Timpson shop to Timpson Shop !!!

I personally would stump up the money and use either Apple or CFW.

Alps

Prominent Member
I would use CPW, but it seems they box up the phone and send it off to Apple. I worried about what happens with that phone whilst in CPW's hands. I've had friends who have work there and I wouldn't trust them with my phone!

I'll pop into my local Timpson and see what they say. Or else, it'll be Apple

anticlaus105

Prominent Member
My wife had a screen repair at CPW on an s7 edge. I know they send it samsung. It wasn't right after the repair and would occasionally glitch. One day she took it out of her bag and it had cracked. I'm not sure if they had fitted it in such a way it was under stress causing it to fracture, but she definitely didn't drop/knock it.

152bobby

Established Member
Taking phones to third party repairers who send them off to the main manufacturers ie Apple and Samsung, all you are doing is involving a middle man and if it goes wrong and you take it back, they will probably just blame each other, pay the extra, get it done properly, if it goes wrong, you are dealing with one company.

If my phone goes wrong, I want it repaired quickly and properly, hence, I would stump up the extra money !!

Alps

Prominent Member
Taking phones to third party repairers who send them off to the main manufacturers ie Apple and Samsung, all you are doing is involving a middle man and if it goes wrong and you take it back, they will probably just blame each other, pay the extra, get it done properly, if it goes wrong, you are dealing with one company.

If my phone goes wrong, I want it repaired quickly and properly, hence, I would stump up the extra money !!

I agree. But my thinking is, Timpson are a reputable company here so can't imagine the colour issue we currently have reoccurring with their screen. If their screen is a little thinner than Apple's I'm fine with that as we do put a glass screen protector on and look after our goods.

simpsod1

Established Member
An iPhone 6 screen replacement off Amazon is £24 and takes 15 mins to change ( I did my 13 year olds 3 times)
Slightly less contrast but other than that spot on

Alps

Prominent Member
An iPhone 6 screen replacement off Amazon is £24 and takes 15 mins to change ( I did my 13 year olds 3 times)
Slightly less contrast but other than that spot on
How difficult was it? And what tools were required? I might brave it, and if I mess up, reasonable enough excuse for a new phone ;)

Alps

Prominent Member

Peroni

Established Member
I used to worked for Timpson and had have changed a few iPhone screens in my time. If anyone has any questions then I would be happy to answer via PM.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom