1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Screen refresh rate in MCE2005

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by philipb, Jul 4, 2005.

1. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The set up is MCE2005; Nvidia 6800 with latest drivers set to output at 1024x768 @ 50Hz. The display is a Pio 43MXE1 set to FRC mode 2.

When I check the refresh rate using the display button on the Pio's remote it correctly shows 50Hz. But if I check it when watching TV in full screen mode using MCE2005 (Avermedia A800 USB) the refresh rates shows as 60Hz.

There is some jerkiness on pans which suggests the TV picture could be 60Hz, but how can this be if the graphics card is set to 50Hz?

Suggestions welcome.

2. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem, but solved it by editing a registry setting:

http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...&tid=47dc0c47-da99-447b-a1ee-f8d29e661941&p=1

Or in summary:

Create a file: Disable_MCE2005_RefreshRateChange.reg with notepad and paste this into it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MediaCenter]'EnableRefreshRateChange'=dword:00000000

Save the file and then double click on it.

CurrentVersion shouldn't have a space in there - the system keeps putting it in - so i've attached as a text file.

Attached Files:

3. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul, great reply.

When I read Philipb's question, it dawned on me what has been happening and why I've always been slightly disapointed with the 'live TV picture' (as it's known).

And to emphasise why this reply is a major plus for me, I changed the refresh rate on Saturday whilst MCE was minimised (so it appears as a small window) and changed the settings in the nvidia dialogue box (of which I am now so familiar, I can recite each sub menu backwards:)). The picture I got was stunning by comparison but could not figure out why it became jerky again the next time I rebooted.

Once more...... I was blind but now I can see... and the world is no longer in jerky movements either.... :)

Jon.

4. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

Cigars all round - thanks Paul.

5. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Fabulous tip :thumbsup:
    Thankyou,
    Should it go in the MCE FAQ?

lisa

6. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reg idiot here......

Buggered if I can get it to change the registry. All it say's is:

Cannot import (filename and path) specified file is not a reg script.

and

you can only import binary reg files from within the reg editor

Or being cynical, it means:

"Up yours monkey boy, so you thought you could just change the registry as easy as that eh? ha ha! Even the cleaners at microsoft have to have phD's so you have no chance!" :)

So, being within the grasp of the lost ark, the holy grail, afraid someone is going to have to tell me blow by blow what to do :lease: .

BTW, I've tried it as a .txt file and a .reg file but both have the same results. Should I be saving this file to a particuler directory? At the moment it's in my HTPC's shared directory as I copied it across from another PC, what I call my 'close up pc' as it's the one I sit close up to:)

Jon.

7. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Funny :D

That happened to me too, I followed the instructions from the other website that the link points to, it adds a couple of extra lines to the notepad doc, save it as .reg and 'other files' - it worked for me!

lisa

8. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Lisa, will try that tonight.

It's a funny old game though, this MCE2005 malarkey. What I often wonder is the people that build Media Centre machines for a living, such as Jon Sayers from Elonex who posts/answers on the elonex thread so often, do they know all of this already? Do they get special build notes which include this registry mod for instance? What else is there I wonder or is it all just a natural progression and learning curve?

Why are we here, what is our role in life.......... :)

(getting too heavy for 7.20am!)

Jon.

9. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    Jon

Just to back-up Lisa's note, I had the same problem. You must paste 4 lines - Regedit 4 - blank line - then the two lines for the HKEY entry. Do that and it'll work fine. I now have 50Hz in MCE :thumbsup:

10. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I just entered it by hand using regedit when I did it.

How come this isn't set by default? There must be thousands of people out there watching 50Hz PAL TV/DVDs on a 60Hz screen trying to figure out why the imgae judders so much when watching footy etc...

11. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,321
    is this only worth doing if you watch Tv via the HCPC ?

I only use mine for DVD watching (both R1 and R2) and playing movies off the HD

12. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why is it not important for watching PAL DVD's as well?

13. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is important for PAL DVDs.

14. lewiswlawrence

lewiswlawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am curious about the jerkiness you describe when Media Centre was forcing a display refresh of 60 Hz.

Is it to do with the fact that the display you are using can only go at 50Hz?
    Or is it because Media Centre drops or repeats frames when displaying the 50Hz broadcast at 60Hz?

I would have thought that any refresh rate at least as fast as the TV broadcast would work OK (50), and am probably not fully understanding things, so am hoping someone can explain it to me.
    -----
    Lewis

15. monopole

monopole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If your screen refresh isn't an integer multiple of the frame rate (or simply, if your refresh rate isn't the same as the frame rate of your TV or DVD source) you will get instances where the image shown on screen is made up of part of one TV/DVD frame and part of the following TV/DVD frame... ordinarily, you won't notice this too much on fairly static images, but as soon as the image starts to pan left or right, you will see the effect.

If the monitor refresh rate and TV/DVD frame rate are exactly matched, then you will only ever see one frame per refresh cycle of the monitor.

16. lewiswlawrence

lewiswlawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did some experimentation with this last night, and something weird happens.

My Media Centre uses a Gigabyte NVidia 6600 adaptor, and feeds a Sony flat panel monitor using the regular 15 pin VGA connection. After much experimentation with various resolutions, I have the display set to 1280x720 @ 60 Hz, and the timing set so as to provide a 720 progressive output. The monitor is happy with this, showing 720/60p as the input.

Last night I adjusted the frequency down to 50 Hz using the NVidia configuration tool in Windows, and the monitor display flickers and tells me it is getting 720/50p signal. I then updated the registry as described, and restarted the machine. All is well until I start media center, when the display flickers, and tells me it is getting a signal of “other” (i.e nothing standard the monitor recognizes as a normal input), and it is displaying a 4:3 squashed image.

I checked the registry entry was really in place, and after a lot more fiddling around eventually set the refresh back to 60 Hz, and normal function was restored. Does anybody have any ideas why this might be happening?
    -----
    Lewis

17. hebawom

hebawom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your screen propably doesn't support a 50Hz refresh rate - is it an American product? Their standard is 60Hz

18. lewiswlawrence

lewiswlawrence
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The screen supports it fine, even telling me it is getting a 720/50p signal when viewing XP only. It only goes pear shaped when I launch media center.
    -----
    Lewis

19. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I was looking to find a reason why my new MCE PC live TV was juddering and I was getting ghosting/smearing. Before I go ahead with the advice prescribed here can I just check that the problem I have is the same.

I am running a Sammy 40" LCD (LE40R51B) at 1360x768@60hz. When I view sky through RGB the picture is fine but when I view the same channel in MCE via VGA I get the ghosting and very noticable on the news tickers a la Sky News (the normal smooth running messages are juddering across the screen).

I take it the reg hack fixes this but doesn't cause any other knock on effects to say playing dvd's, games or avi's in media player?

Thanks very much

Glen

20. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have an ATI Radeon X300 in my Artisan. I've looked at my cards list of supported refresh rates/resolutions and i can't find any that support 50Hz. There are a couple with 47 and two with 46 but these are nowhere near the resolution I'm after. My screen is a Dell 2005FPW which is american. Does this mean that as the US standard is 60Hz, I can't change to 50?

21. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Help guys, being thick maybe. I can't select 1360x768@50hz in the properties of my 6600GT. I tried 1280x720@50 - don't work. Is this something I should be able to do within the gfx card properties or do I need Powerstrip or DScaler installed?

Thanks for all advice, this is driving me mad.

Glen

22. jackuzi

jackuzi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to update, seems my problem is with my LCD not being able to do 50hz :mad: over VGA.

23. kgreene

kgreene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Under the "How good is the Elonex Artisan" thread in "Entertainment PCs"(and in a few other places) there is much talk of something called Powerstrip which will let you configure custom resolutions for your graphics cards.
    www.entechtaiwan.com is the link given.
    I've got the Artisan as well but haven't got my new LCD yet so haven't looked at this but Jon Sayers was saying he had his Artisan running at 1366 X 768 so I guess he was using Powersrtip as the ATI card doesn't support that resolution. Not sure what refresh rate he was running but I gather you can change that in Powerstip too.
    Let me know how you get on so I can benefit from your experience ;)

24. northernmunki

northernmunki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So.... in short I need to ensure 50Hz refresh is configured in "Control panel/Display" and reg hack for silky smooth TV and DVD?
    That might explain the jerky pans while watching the F1 on Sunday!

25. Goodoldbakes

Goodoldbakes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Cheers. I've looked into Powerstrip (there's also a similar one called 'D-Scaler' I believe) and to be honest it looks a bit complicated for what I want. My pq is fine, probebly would be fantastic for some people, but I just thought if there was an easy way to alter the refresh, then it might be perfect. I'm going to stick with the "If it aint broke - don't fix it" philosophy for now. :smashin:

26. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's pretty well the conclusion I came to. Sometimes my pictures are sooo good and other times they are less smooth and frankly, dissapointing.

I think the first thing to remember is how these large LCD TV's can actually show up a poor source for what it is unlike a CRT TV. I also believe that many of us are currently living in this pre Hi Def era (in the UK) yet are playing about with Hi Def resolutions.... almost willing our set ups to give those jaw dropping pictures and when they don't, you wonder if there's something else you can tweak or fiddle with to gain that bit extra. That's my theory anyway.

I think like many here, I've tried all the tips and tweaks on my set up so after 7 months of it, I honestly don't think I can make it any better until Hi Def comes along.

I think once you resist the temptaion to fiddle, you can sit back and actually enjoy using the machine for what it is.... the best single bit of electronics kit you'll probably ever own.

Cheers,
    Jon.

27. kgreene

kgreene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yep - although posting the link to powestrip I've not installed it myself as I am firmly in the ain't broken, don't fix it camp!
    When I've got the basics working OK I'll give it a go but before doing anything like this you should always sort out a recovery procedue (something better than XPs restore points as well!) in case it has unforseen results and if that is not something you want to get into then best not take the risk.

28. stevieby

stevieby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for this thread as currently was thinking why I have not managed to get Live TV that good on MCE.

However if I wanted to go do 50hz for general stuff would this be possible either using a TFT Monitor or a LCD TV?

Any help appreciated

Steve

29. Ch0pper

Ch0pper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm having trouble with my PV500 with this.

The lowest I can get it to (connected via VGA cables to a DMSII HTPC) is 59Hz. After that the picture *Ping* vanishes and I have to reset to the default settings to get it back.

I've fiddled with various settings, 1024x768 at various Hz (its natural resolution) and 1280x 720 (cannot get the windows desktop to stretch to fit the top and bottom of the screen) and 1280 x 768 (res I'm currently using).

I'm not 100% happy so far as I've been told I ought to be viewing it at 1280x720 at 50Hz and can't seem to figure out why UI can't!

30. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    What's the full code yo uhave to write in the registry, the link does not work?